Stuck at 60hz with 144hz monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Hello there, I've read a lot of posts with this issue and none of the solutions helped me. I bought an Asus VG248QE monitor that can run at 144hz, but all I get is 60hz tops. I went to the asus webpage to check out the dirvers there, but all I see is "multiframe software" and "Nvidia 3d driver", which I wont download because i have an AMD Radeon R7 card, and anyway I dont want to use it for 3d Purposes. I just want to run my game on 144hz.

My card comes with a Dual Link DVI-D port, and I have the DVI-D Cable for it. Apart from that port, I have an HDMI Port and a VGA port. So I guess I'm connecting it correctly. I'm very frustrated, and I don't want to buy a new graphics card, but It seems I will have to do that, since It might be a compatibility problem with AMD cards, I don't know. Any suggestions? Im running windows 7 and Catalyst Control Center tells me that my monitor can run up to 75hz, which is obviously not correct, and windows tells me that I can run at 60hz. What the hell is going on?

Reactions: mattcupper

battler624

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Win7 > Right-click on desktop > Resolution > Advance settings > Monitor> change refresh rate..
if that doesn't show you your Hz, its either your Monitor, cable or graphics card.
Also, its quite possible that your monitor doesn't do 144Hz at your specific resolution, try lowering it and try again.

I can't really tell what options your control panel contains as I'm a nvidia user, but try the AMD control panel settings, the refresh rate may have set to 60Hz, you have to change to 144Hz.
If you're running 2560x1440, I think DVI has a limit of 60Hz. You'll have to use displayport for 144Hz.

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Thanks for the answer battler, but I already tried that, and windows shows me 60hz max. And thats all. My monitor supports 144hz at 1920x1080 and I'm using that resolution.

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

I also tried that, and It gives me max 75hz at 1024x768, which is a crappy resolution that I will not use for the money I spent on this monitor. I'm using the DVI-D cable that came with the monitor, so I guess it should work?

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

chris, I'm using the Dual Link DVI-D cable that came with the monitor. Which are the non regular DVI-D cables then?

I'm starting to think that this monitor works only with Nvidia Cards that support this amount of hz.

A 144Hz monitor doesn't mean you'll get 144Hz with any cable.
You need a displayport cable for 144Hz.
If you have a R7 250 card, then you don't have any option.
But if you have a 260/x card, then connect to the displayport port.

You should have checked this before buying, if you have a R7 250.

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

There is always an option. That's my way of thinking and everything is hackable, and I was right. I downloaded this software: software that gives me the option to force the refresh rate of my monitor. Now I'm getting 144hz instead of 60hz. Thanks to all for your help, but I already fixed it.

:bounce:

Kari

Splendid

that's bs, I'm running the same monitor with dual link dvi on an ancient 5770 (temporarily :D) and can set it to 144Hz just fine.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

But what is the point? Can you run anything at 144fps?

Kari

Splendid

btw did you ever install the drivers for the monitor? Sounds like you didn't and windows didn't realize on its own all the refresh rates available...

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Yes. Everything.

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Yes. I installed everything that came with de CD inside the video card box.

d4sh

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

Everything is smooth, including my video games. Thanks for the concern :)

Kari

Splendid

i was asking about the monitor, not the card...The driver I'm using is the version 1.0.0.0 dated at October 5th 2012 made by asus. Cause i didnt need any 3rd party software to get mine running at 120/144 on an old HD5770

but it doesnt really matter anymore :9

n3ver

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Hi, I have a BenQ XL2411Z that a friend of mine didn't use anymore. Well, this is all about bandwidth. I think I can only achieve 1920x1080 @ 144Hz through dual link DVI-D because the other connections in the monitor are VGA and HDMI 1.4 (a?). I can't get more than 90 Hz through the customized resolutions option in the latest AMD drivers [I have an AMD Radeon 6990M, it's a laptop with an HDMI 1.4 (1.4a or just 1.4; I don't know just like in the monitor) and DVI-I]. I think you can stop using that software since you can force the 144Hz in AMD drivers now. Anyway, even forcing it thourgh the drivers I only get bandwidth to get 90Hz. The laptop only has DVI-I so that's out of question. So: Monitor HDMI 1.4 --> cable HDMI 1.3 --> Laptop HDMI 1.4 . I would like to know if an HDMI 1.4 cable would get me to at least 100Hz. And I think that if the monitor and laptop connections are both 1.4a I would get even higher Hz. But I don't know if either of them are just 1.4 or 1.4a. I suppose that a new HDMI 2.0 cables woudln't make any difference since the connections on both monitor and laptop are not 2.0. I also read about firmware updates to the HDMI ports to make them 2.0 since ports are phisically similar and it's possible to update them through firmware, but I think it is impossible to update my monitor's firmware and I can't find any HDMI port firmware update to my laptop (Clevo P170HM). I just wanted to know if buying an HDMI 1.4 cable would help me get a bit more Hz's since I could get to 90Hz by forcing it in the AMD drivers. I only have an HDMI 1.3 cable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.