Everything needed to build is bought last minute words of advise before/during assembly

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I've gotten everything except a GPU which I'm still looking for a good deal. I'll start the build next weekend once everything has arrived. I'm guessing I have a couple of weeks before I really need a GPU so I can run on the integrated graphics until then if needed. I haven't built anything in 8 years so other that backing up files from the old computer that I might need what other words of wisdom are there before building. I'll read over the sticky a few times but some of that is a bit dated so not sure if it applies to the stuff I bought.
I've never had a SSD or 2 HD (and I plan to put a 3rd on once this build is fully functional and I can take it out of my old one. No plans for Raid just 3 separate drives

Any other hot tips?

My build sans GPU
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ve8g

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-17 23:55 EST-0500)

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Make sure you do all this on a wooden or plastic table. No rugs, socks, or anything that can create static. Static will kill your parts. And no one wants those parts to die :(

I recommend you have multiple small containers for all the screws that you will be fastening/unfastening.

Keep airflow throughout the case. Make sure the GPU fan is getting its space. Do not block any fans with wiring.

DO NOT drop anything. Treat this parts like a new born baby. Yes, that also means cradle it ;)

Well that's about it for my short tutorial. I hope you laugh at at least ONE joke in there :)

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I noticed that the memory was 1.65V (something I didn't before for some reason). I did some reading and I know that it isn't an issue but should I be starting at something less that 1.65V initially to avoid any issues

I'll be careful with the system, the thing that always worries me the most is applying the thermal compound. The last one worked out ok but I can't remember what I did :(

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

Just apply a tiny drop in the center and press the cooler down on it. Tiny, like the size of a rice.

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006

I recall doing something like that before wasn't sure if it was still the way to go. I saw a youtube from Newegg and the guy spread it out over the top of the CPU with his finger (in a plastic bag)

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

Both will give you the same result. But when you put the tiny drop in the middle, the CPU fan presses on to the drop and spreads it so you don't have to do it yourself. That was why I said a small drop. The CPU fan will be screwed down so it will spread itself.