120hz vs 60hz. Help.With other concerns

light001

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2012
Some over the top incite would go along way here. Examples and information especially.Like i need a master yoda here...and i appreciate anyones time who does weigh in.

Basically i have my gtx 780 ti sc. And BenQ XL2420t. And since i am asking some detailed questions, i will post the rest of my specs. Asus p8z77-v-lx- Mb.Corsair 16GB 1600Mhz Vengeance.Intel Core i5 3550 Quad 3.30ghz 6mb,I used the asus auto tuning to push to 4ghz.KingSton 120gb HyperX 3k SSD Sata III for my OS.Seagate barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 64mb (play most my games off this).Corsair 850watt modular power supply.

Now. I am getting rather annoyed lately. I have this awesome graphics card, and screen. But half the time i cannot just run things on extreme settings...like metro last light with 2x supersampling and highest every other setting. With this Ubisoft Assasins creed black flag, i needed to get a 3rd party software (d3doverrider) to remove the stupid frame cap at 30fps from some points. And lately ive been trying to wrap borderlands 2 again, but she floats around 55-120 fps constantly.

Ive herd that Tripple buffering cannot be triggered for DX games in Nvidia control panel. WHY NOT?! :(. If its so awesome right?...do i really need to keep d3d for this?. Also, since my monitor is 120hz...should i keep it in this? It has given me issues in skyrim,because apparently its not a 120hz game? so i mean i just half refresh rate adaptive for that game. But i play lots of games and with black flag when i keep my 120hz on, with d3d on and in game vsync on, it sits at 63fps....why 63? why not 60?...i dunno maybe i red something about that on another forum . I herd 120hz makes things smoother? i thought it was generally just for 3d? but i never use 3d...so should i use 120hz or just leave it at 60hz?

Another question, So my graphics card....base and boost clock...like caps at 1150 mhz or something...what things use mhz in graphics cards from game settings? and which use the vram? and which use the cpu? ...blah...and some games like metro for example...wont let you choose certian settings?! just incorporate them from high to very high....ughh....annoying...and fxaa? smooth's edges but makes things blurry? .....waaaat the poop people.....some of this stuff drives me nuts. because honestly just gimme 2x multi sampling over fxaa right?.....

Anyway ...cheers and thanks for listening,responding.

Thats life, 120FPS isn't the norm and isn't supported in all cases.

Skyrim's physics go crazy above 60FPS. I've found the best setting for Skyrim is to force vsync off, 120Hz and cap to 60FPS, little tearing and way less input lag. Borderlands 2 just needs Physx turned off, crappy effect anyway.

Also yes agreed FXAA is total crap.

First off, recognize that you are playing PC games, and with PC's, things are different than with consoles. Every PC is different. There are some people that have 2, 3 and even 4 780's in SLI. There are people with IGP's, and everyone in between. PC technology is constantly evolving and getting faster. As a result, PC games have lots of options, including options that even the fastest GPU cannot run at super high FPS. It is up to you to fine tune your settings to get the results you want. You cannot expect to play at maxed out settings in many games, especially if you are wanting 100+ FPS. Dev's often times just throw in IQ settings that cannot be used with current technology because they are experimenting with new techniques, and you simply cannot use them until a couple years down the road when technology improves. You simply need to get rid the idea that every game should be played at "Maxed out" settings. AA settings in particular can really go beyond reason, so be reasonable.

Next, triple buffering is not an option for directX. It was only ever an option for OpenGL. The only way to force triple buffering is with 3rd party software. With a 120hz screen, you likely aren't going to want triple buffering, as it is only useful if you are using V-sync. It has zero benefits if you are not using V-sync. So forget about triple buffering unless you are using V-sync (which may induce stuttering). The main reason people get 120hz monitors if for smooth responsive gaming. V-sync adds latency. V-sync induces stuttering if you are not pegged at your refresh rate.

Skyrim is an odd game. Skyrim has an engine that doesn't behave correctly if you have more than 60 FPS. It is not the norm, but if you play Skyrim, you just have to deal with it. I personally have no other games with such problems.

And another thing, some games simply are not capable of hitting 100+ FPS at all times, even with the fastest systems on the planet. Even if you turn all settings to low. They weren't designed to hit 100+ FPS, and usually bottleneck on the CPU causing FPS to drop below 100, even below 60.

Forget about your graphics speed. That is simply the speed at which the graphics card operates, and the games do not look at it. A game will simply give the GPU work to do, and the GPU does the work. The speed at which the GPU is clocked at will determine how fast it will work.

AA settings, like FXAA, MSAA, SSAA are all different types of anti-aliasing methods. Some are faster than others, some do a better job than others, and some can cause blurring. It is up to you to decide what versions you like. If you don't like blurring, I suggest you don't use FXAA, SMAA or MLAA. Even SSAA may cause some blurring. MSAA should be good to avoid blurring, so you may just want to stick with that.

Welcome to PC gaming. It is up to you to optimize the game to meet your needs. Since we all have different systems, that is what has to be done.