upgrading pc for skyrim on low budget

Alessandro Angotzi

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
Hi everyone, i'm running skyrim on this pc:

was thinking of trhowing in a 100€ to upgrade it a bit but i'm not sure where those should go.

ATM i'm satisfied with the performance even @ 1920x1080 since i do not use aa or the like and i really tolerate some lag now and then.

what can you suggest me?

well for one thing you can add a video card if you don't have one already, the Nvidia geforce 7025 is built into the motherboard, if you don't have a discrete graphics card buy a GTX 650 Ti Boost if you can, or a GTX 650 Ti and you should see a decent increase in performance. I don't recommend AMD cards since skyrim runs poorly on them for the most part

hmm I see, I would say sell the HD7450, get a GTX 650Ti (boost) and get another stick of RAM (has to be clocked the same, and timings have to be same, just get another of the same stick to be safe) if you're in single channel, if it's dual channel I would suggest getting a new set of RAM, the best/fastest you can get that's compatible with your particular motherboard and CPU

there's not much you can upgrade besides these 2 components, to get a worthy upgrade on your CPU you'll need a new motherboard, and better Athlon X4's are not much better than yours as it is

Alessandro Angotzi

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

Thanks a lot, it's more or less the same thing i thought. Right now i cannot spend too much and i'm already using both of the ram slots with dual channel 2GB sticks.

the only concern about the GTX 650Ti (boost) is the space in my case... do you know if the card will haev the coolers on the upside or the downside? i got a very big cooler for the cpu wich leaves very little room...

GPUs always have the coolers below the card. Check your power supply can handle whatever graphics card you get if its not quite up to the 650Ti boost consider a radeon 7750 and remember there is a huge difference between the 650, 650Ti and 650 ti boost despite the similar names.