wireless network jack or ethernet?

LordNaomasa

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
ok, so I bought an aquarium attachment that will monitor temp, chem lvls etc. Also it will be able to send info to my phone, computer etc. But in order to do that I have to set it up on my home network. I have a wireless router but it recommends I use ethernet wired. Its possible since the router isnt tooooo far from the aquarium but it will require tons of wiring etc through walls. Anyway I will post part of the directions and see what you guys suggest! Thanks

"Thanks for purchasing Apex. While we understand that your home network router may not be located near where your controller will be permanently installed, we do recommend that your Apex be plugged directly into your home network's main router for the initial configuration. Also, the easiest and cheapest way to interface to the Apex from your network is with a hard-wire connection (as opposed to 3rd Party wi-fi options). Therefore, if it is possible, have a network jack near where the Apex will be permanently installed."

What do you recommend? Is it just me or they reason they say easiest and cheapest is for those who do not have have wi-fi already (which we already do). Problem is this attachment doesnt have a wireless card built in so Id need something to be able to pick a wifi signal up and attach this attachment to it via an ethernet cord. Would a bridge work?

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
A bridge or powerline adapter should be completely transparent to the APEX. As a low data use device, either will provide the speed it needs. Unless you are given better explanation specific to not bridging to the APEX, do whatever you think will work easiest for you. As always, buy from a place with a good return policy.

Hard to say why they want a wired connection. Be careful when you go shopping some of the vendors call a AP a bridge which is the reverse of what you want. The key think to look for is the term client-bridge. Many of the so called range extenders or repeaters will also have this function.