ssd + 2xhdd raid 1 on P5E

cipher77

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
thanks in advance, everyone.
typically i read and read until i find the answer...for this, however...there seem to be MANY possibilities?

i would essentially like to know about the success of an SSD 840EVO as the system/boot drive with a pair of WD 500gb hdd running in raid 1 mode.

i've read about the issues with trim. the way i've understood it is that as long as it's not a PART of the raid complex (paired with other like drives)...as long as it's a lone standing drive it's fine.

my mobo is rather dated...asus p5e.
but, it's handled my raid 1 with those mentioned wd hdds rather well.
yes, i understand it tops out at 3gb/s and will choke up the ssd.

i install the sdd as a standalone drive with the newly installed OS 7 in ahci mode.
then, physically connect the raid hdds and add the raid array via control I...

that should do it, yes?
i've been putting together my own boxes for some time...
however, this would be my first foray into SDDs.

just want to make sure i don't brick anything.

any and all advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

*at some point...i plan on upgrading the mobo. ;-)

**and, yes...i know this question in some form or another pops up at least once a day. so...thanks again!

cipher77

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

yeah...i've read that that's your typical response to the notion of raid 1 with an ssd as the sys disc.
i agree, it's certainly not a backup.
fortunately, i have several ext drives where things actually get backed up to.

as for why the raid...i figure redundancy never hurts.
and, i certainly don't *need* a TB of storage. :)
i know, i know...i'm in the minority.
i'm also not looking for hurricane type performance...a nice breezy gallop will do from the old mobo.
again, i know...i'm in the minority.

raid 1 made sense when i was running the os off of them (the paired hdds)...it certainly saved my bacon a fair share of times.

since you're pretty heralded here...i was wondering if i might solicit your advice re: the install process?
is it pretty much as described above?

tell me true - if i do, indeed, add the drives AFTER the sdd install i could add them as a raided pair or just as a TB as you seem to suggest throughout, yes?

as mentioned before...you're usually right on the money...so, any answer to my original question would be incredibly appreciated! especially considering just how much more you guys know!!

thanks again!!!

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, your concept should work no problem.

Install on the SSD
Then the software RAID array on the two other drives. Be prepared to wipe those drives in the process.

The reason I usually say that is because soooo many questions here about that are from people who think it will be A. twice as fast, or B. be an automatic backup, or C. both.

RAID has its place. Generally, the desktop is not usually that place. Too many people have the wrong idea about it.
At my office, for one of our main server scenarios, we have quad redundant backend SQL servers (2 x 2 clusters), several front end servers, failover load balancers, a hotswap recovery platform 1,000 miles away...
and we still have nightly backups.

But you seem to have the backup situation well in hand. Go for it!

(and I am humbled by your comments. I'm just some dude out here...:) )