Is there really a PS4 emulator being developed?

Do you think PS4 EMX is fake, or a legit project for a PS4 emulator?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

JasonShark

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
I have heard about PS4 EMX, an experimental project that is supposedly working on emulating PS4 on Windows x86-64. But is it true, fake, etc.? I mean PS3 is doing ok with RPCS3, so I doubt it's impossible. What do you guys think? Have you found anything about PS4 EMX, it being fake, scam to make money, etc.?

Vote on this poll and tell me if you think it's fake or not. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USNm90p9sY

SleeperPug

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
i call fake but you never know. at one point people thought pcsx2 a ps2 emulator, would never exist and look now it emulates mostly every game for ps2 perfectly. im sure when nes came out nobody would've imagined a futuristic os called windows would be emulating it in the years to come. did you try emaling the developer?

BellySagaFIV

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
It's not fake, it's just not well supported, and the developers actually have lives and can't be coding 24/7. Not to mention, again, the obvious fact that the team is only about 4-5 guys, and only like 1 or 2 are actually attempting to crack the PS4 hardware. Anyways, yes, it's real, but it's a poor micro-project as of now.

couspit

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
It would be nice I to have it I guess but I wouldn't wait on it. It will probably take a lot of time to develop one that will work smoothly on most games.

BellySagaNIN

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

No kidding, since PS3, a less powerful system, will be hell to get right unless on a damn powerful x86-64 based computer with well-supporting hardware specs and speeds. The projected timeframe I see PS4 EMX being able to even render games is maybe 2020. Proper rendering? Maybe 2025-2030. PS6 will probably exist then. lol.

MattMutexs

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
"PS4 EMX" is a pipe dream. I emailed the developer and was told that "it's in the beginning stages of development" and "more focused on building a stable team from past emulator projects". In other words, it's wishful thinking with a few lines of code. I doubt there will be ANY PS3 emulator in the coming years that works and runs commercial games, nonetheless a PS4emu (which we may never see anyways, like PS3).

icrash

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
there's one thing most people don't get about the situation with emulators: the main reason the ps3 and xbox360 emulators are barely working, and not really useable is that the ps3 and xb360 use a different architecture to modern PCs. the ps4 and xb1 are both running x86_64 architectures, so rather than software-only emulation an emulator simply has to convert the code. it's like the difference between trying to build a 1 story house from toilet paper and trying to build a 3-story house from wood. the 3-story house is bigger, but at least you have the right material for the job. because of this, I think a ps4 emulator is actually more likely than a ps3 emulator.

No. Emulating an ISA is trivial, its the lower level control structures, the video backend, and the like thats hard to emulate. Doing a PPC to X86 conversion is more or less trivial these days.

The PS4 is going to be a pain simply because you aren't just emulating the hardware, you're also emulating the host OS and all its functions. Which basically means getting BSD emulated within Windows.

GPU backend? You need to do a low level libgcm to high level DX/OGL conversion, which is going to KILL performance.

The PS4, X360, and XB1 are going to be near impossible to emulate due largely to the fact you also need to emulate the OS. The PS3 is going to be impossible to emulate due to its rather unique HW design. Same issue as N64 emulation really; no one really knows how the RSP/RDP works, and that's one of the major reasons N64 emulation is still a mess in many, many areas.