Why does the AI in Civ 5 constantly denounce you despite you helping them and never going to war?

Which of these CIV 5 factions is the most hostile towards friendly users?

• Maria I - Portugal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocatello - Shoshone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elizabeth - England

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Salsa123

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I just recently got back to playing some Civ 5 with the brave new world DLC. However the game is still pretty much the same in regards to the AI of other countries. Despite the fact I never drastically expand, I keep troops away from borders and I always trade with them; they will always denounce me after a few turns, is it just there to get on your nerves and how does everyone else deal with these rogues?

the AI act like players in some regard, if they see that you are expanding and are getting ahead of them, they will denounce you and hopefully ruin trade lines for you.

my suggestion is to befriend them early, from the get go whatever advancement you give your civilization will result in negative AI "points" so sooner or later they will announce you, but gains from befriending them early will offset that and they'll likely leave you alone the entire game if you do enough for them.

when you discover horses, send a horse to various AI civs for free, that gives a HUGE boost to AI friendship in the beginning and you'll be swimming in DoFs and trade caravans soon. Trading with other civs also gives a decent trickle boost to AI friendship and will be enough to offset the ever decrease from civ advancement

I play on Immortal usually and I always send my horses away for allies, I start to outpace AIs starting the medieval age and am usually far ahead by Renaissance, but I've still rarely been denounced before Industrial age :p

Salsa123

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Ok but when I was close with Portugal, they backstabbed me despite sharing numerous trade routes,resources and giving them gold for nothing in return. So would I be right in saying that denunciation maybe random at times?

Partially because of poor diplomacy coding, but some AI's WILL backstab you if they think you are weak, too far ahead of them, close to winning, are enemies (or unfriendly) with some other Civ they are close too, or if your territories overlap.

But yeah, the AI doesn't make a lot of sense a lot of the time. That's one area that I really hope gets fixed in Civ 6.

If you are in close proximity to a Civ you should expect them to backstab you at some point, the first 2 or 3 civs to share borders with you will have a high chance of DoW on you unless you are a top military might.

It's somewhat random but at the same time still hard coded