PSU, Fan or Motherboard issue?

ServiceDroid_R

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Hi guys,
A friend brought his computer to my house last night with an issue, after working without a problem for about a week his computer had crashed and restarted a few times the previous night and now would not boot. He'd opened his case and saw that his cpu and case fans weren't spinning which was stopping it from booting.

Initially I thought the psu was too weak to support all of his connections, however it had been working for a few days, and after looking it up confirmed that it was an appropriate psu.

I checked his psu connections and everything seemed fine, tried to boot and the fans did not work. So, I disconnected and reconnected his psu to make sure everything was in fact connected properly, however the fans still did not turn.

We then took out an older psu and connected it up, this time the fans worked. We then disconnected the psu which worked as it was so old that it didn't have a pci-e card connector for his gpu.

Now you'd think, the first psu was just faulty and would need replacing right? But, after this we reconnected the psu which was causing the issue, and everything worked fine.

Everything seems to be working at the moment, so it's all good, I was just wondering if anybody had any idea's why the fans would seemingly stop working at random and then begin to work again after connecting different psu's?

Any idea's are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

mironso

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
First, check capacitors on your mobo, it should be "flat", not "bubbled". If you can, open your PSU and check capacitors in PSU, DO THAT ONLY IF YOU DO NOT VIOLATE YOUR WARRANTY!!!
It could be easy that PSU is faulty.

ServiceDroid_R

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah it makes most sense that its an issue with the psu. If it happens again I'll double check the capacitors on the mobo but if I open the psu i'd probably void his warranty, be best if he just returns the psu if it happens again.#

Thanks for the response.

TRENDING THREADS