Community Input Requested: Gaming Mice Reviewer Criteria

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there friends!

One of our reviewers is gearing up to do a big look into gaming mice. There are a ton of them out there, and not all of them are created equal. Any cursory look through the hardcore gamer categories shows peripherals are key components of securing that extra edge, and we've extensively reviewed mechanical keyboards in the past. Before our guys start to dig apart the nitty gritty of the gaming mouse world, we wanted to ask for your feedback on what you'd like to see in the review.

Please respond to this thread with your thoughts on aspects you'd like to see covered in the review, as well as gaming mice brands and products you want looked into. We'll use this thread as a starting point for our investigation.

• What criteria would you use to judge a gaming mouse on?

• How would you like to see the gaming mice benchmarked?

• Which mice form factors do you want us to look into? Does form factor matter to you?

• What games do you want us to use to test review these?

• What mice brands and products would you like to see reviewed?

• And do you have any other suggestions or recommendations for our Gaming Mice Review?

Thanks in advance for all your feedback and help!

Warm Regards,
| Joe Pishgar
| Senior Community Manager
| TechMediaNetwork - Tom's Hardware, Tom's Guide, Computing.net

p.s. - Just a heads-up, our Tom's Guide editor, Paul Wagenseil might be chiming in here if there are any questions or for follow-up.

g-unit1111

Titan
I've become increasingly pickier over peripherals since I joined this forum. Especially since I have fairly larger hands than the average user. So with that this is what I would answer:

1. Does it fit the hand? Is it weighted? Does the driver software give you lots of customization options? Can you speed up or slow down the DPI? What DPI is it rated at? Those are just a few questions off the top of my head.

2. I'd like to see benchmarks based on DPI feedback and in game performance.

3. Any and every. Yes especially for those of us that have larger hands.

4. The usual suspects: Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, BF4, Civilization V, etc etc.

5. Any and every. I personally own and have used: Roccat, Logitech, Microsoft, Tt Esports (best one so far), and Mad Catz (second best so far).

6. I'd like to see a round up or two of different kinds of mice for various form factors and price ranges.

• What criteria would you use to judge a gaming mouse on?
comfort, how many buttons, how easy and how unintrusive the drivers are, does it have a good scroll wheel (hyperscroll on logitech is junk!), how does the product hold up to abuse (dropping, dust, dirt, liquid), dpi, accuracy, size of wear pads, is it a dust magnet.

• How would you like to see the gaming mice benchmarked?
by features given for a certain price. dpi is not the end all solution for mice :) as well as general performance and impressions. best mice per cost (best for $20, best for $50, etc) is also good.

• Which mice form factors do you want us to look into? Does form factor matter to you?
as many as possible.

• What games do you want us to use to test review these?
a mix of shooters, rpg, rts and generic games.

• What mice brands and products would you like to see reviewed?
razer, logitech, corsair, microsoft and perhaps roccat

• And do you have any other suggestions or recommendations for our Gaming Mice Review?
i'm of the mind that dpi is not everything and i've played with the best of them even though i've never used over 1800dpi ever. i typically like 800-1600. it might be nice to note any issues with high dpi and complicated mousepads or to note which mice work on which surfaces.

---

1. Comfort, though this is variable to whoever is holding it. Perhaps get a couple of people of different sizes and grip styles to give their opinion on it (skinny guy says its perfect, large dude says its too small, etc).
Aesthetics, I killed my first Deathadder modding the LED's inside to a different colour (damn soldered ribbon cables), you could say I care about it :lol:.
What surfaces it works on, as thats going to dictate whether someone buying it is going to have to shell out more cash on top of the mouse for a pad.

2. Mice are qualitative for me, I don't think you can really judge based off of numbers. Not too concerned with benchmarks, as the only things you can really measure with a mouse is what its going to say on the box anyway.

3. I use a Razer Deathadder, so mice around that size and shape are what I would be interested in.

4. A mix of games. Get your standard twitch FPS like COD/BF4 which would be testing mostly speed. Mix in a MOBA like League of Legends or DOTA2, their its a mix of speed, functionality (thumb buttons and the like) and sometimes very precise accuracy with skillshots and teamfight situations (not to mention they are very popular games, relevant to a lot of people), then throw your strategy games and MMO's at it where thumb buttons and accuracy rule.

5. Not really concerned about brand.

6. A teardown of the mouse. With some mice its near impossible to find any information about how its assembled and how to pull it apart, having this info will make the modding community happy.