Ordered Parts... Any good advanced tips for before or after I build?

Snow Fox

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Parts are:

Case: Phantom 530
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero
CPU: i7-4770k /w stock cooling
GPU: EVGA GTX 780
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (2x8)
HDD: 2x Toshiba 2tb 7200 rpm SATA III
SSD: Samsung 840 750gb
PSU: Corsair CS-750w
Asus DVD/CD Drive
5.25'' card reader
Monitor: AOC 2ms 27'' 1920x1080
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: Digital innovations 5 button wireless mouse
Speakers: 6 piece logitech 5.1 channel speakers
16gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive
2 140mm fans (One for side panel, one for front)
5 120mm fans (2/2 on underside, 2/3 slots used on topside, 1 fan in the internal pivot fan holder)
Anti-static wristband and surge protection power strip
Dustoff duster and screen wipes

Windows 8.1 Pro OEM
Stardock's Object Desktop Suite and ObjectDock
Fraps

I also bought a $400 laptop pretty much as a non-gaming companion for the PC. Gaming I would only do on the PC anyway so I didn't feel the need to spend extra on the laptop. I would like to make sure this all is what I need. If something isn't right, I have 30 days in which I can return it and choose a different part.

I know how to do basic part swapping... and after research, I think I understand building one from scratch. I would like to know some of the more advanced or obscure tricks and tips. Everything from setting up a good thermal monitor setup, whether it's hardware or software... Getting up to date with the best programs out on the market for various tasks, both the payware and open source leaders, and whether or not the paid one is worth it or not... System processes worth gutting out, and those worth using... No advice is too in depth as long as you lead me into it.

Key Questions:

During hardware install... Should I flash the bios or upgrade any firmware?

After hardware install... I'm assuming I'll download all the freshest drivers on my laptop then flash drive them over. Are there any easily missed or especially important things to keep in mind while doing this?

After driver/bootup phase: What processes should I trim from the startup? Is there a good list of exactly what each one does and what the criteria is for wanting it disabled? I also want to remove the libraries and generic, irremovable personal folders like pictures and and music and documents in the C drive, along with navigation pane links. Bottom line is I want a clean, unbloated system, and I want to understand each part of it that is at work, and trim the ones that aren't.

After the trim and tweak phase... What programs should I focus on getting? Currently, I have the paid ones listed above in the build, and I also use:

Firefox
Freecommander (not sure if I like it)
Rainmeter
CCleaner

And uhh... Well to be honest, everything else is outdated, much going back as far as xp... It's been a long time since I've had this kind of money to invest in tech. So really, if someone could verse me in all the best programs to fill out a good rig, lay them out there..

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to advise me with this. Sorry if I am long winded or difficult to understand... I am autistic, with an abnormal ability for language and math... Figure software development lines up with that pretty well as a career path.

g-unit1111

Titan
You wasted money on the static wrist strap, the dust off, the surge bar, the USB flash drive, and so on. These things are just flat out unnecessary to building a PC. It helps if you have them but it doesn't hurt if you don't. I just replaced a CPU yesterday and didn't need a static wrist strap.

But the biggest piece I can give anyone in terms of after the whole thing's finished and booted: do not update your drivers manually. Install the programs from the included CDs first, then let the drivers update themselves. Those CDs are included for a reason.

Snow Fox

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

The extra parts weren't a waste of money to me. Screen wipes and dust off are good for cleaning it from time to time, the static wrist strap is a good idea in my book for under 5 bucks... The flash drive will be useful beyond words... I know they are not technically necessary, but as you can see this isn't going to be a bare bones build... The power strip I will need anyway to accommodate the speakers, monitor, tower, and a lamp all in the same outlet.

Now, for the drivers... Is there any specific reason that the manufacturers website would provide drivers of less integrity than the ones on disc? I ask because not every part I've purchased has come with driver install discs... Like for example any prebuilt from bestbuy.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Everytime you're going to work with the motherboard, GPU, memory, touch the case to discharge yourself from static. Take your time, go by one part at a time. Start with the case and PSU first. Work on the motherboard, memory, CPU and cooler outside.

g-unit1111

Titan

The ones included on the CD are made specifically for that product to work with the latest versions of Windows and Linux, and they will most likely be updated by the manufacturer by the time the product ships to you. If you download it from the website before installing a lot of the times you'll get the universal driver meaning that it's made to work on a variety of different models, not the version that's specific to what you have in your PC. Most of these drivers are designed to update automatically, but in the case of like AMD Catalyst v.13.4 to version 14 it will require you to uninstall the product and then reinstall the product.

Snow Fox

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
I see... Seems a valid point, and as it happens, I do recall occasionally downloading a universal driver from a manufacturer before. Duly noted, and I appreciate the elaboration provided. :)

Sidenote: Got the two 2tb hdd's in the mail today... And so it begins....

Oh and additional sidenote: I've procured 173 portable apps via LiberKey, and bookmarked extensive educational resources regarding programming of various natures, but I will be primarily targeting educational resources focusing on mobile game app development. Because rawr. Thar's gold in them thar hills.