Acer Aspire T180 GPU Upgrade Recommendations

XAshKetchumX

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
It's been years since I had this computer and I've done some upgrades so far. I bought a modular PSU from Corsair that's at least 750 watts (Corsair TX750M) and I bought a CPU that fits in my socket perfectly which is the AMD Athlon 64 6400+ @ 3.2 GHZ but now I need a GPU that can run games in 1080p in at least High settings. I was thinking of getting the Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 (which I assume could probably fit in my case) but I really don't know if it would be compatible considering that my motherboard is pretty well damn old. Any recommendations or ideas? I'd be willing to spend at least $150-$350 for a GPU upgrade.

Well, your system is simply too old for a modern GPU. Anything that could even run games at medium will be bottlenecked by your CPU badly. Chances are you have only DDR2 RAM which will hold you back alot too.

Spending any money on this computer is a huge waste. A gtx660 will be bottlenecked by the CPU and probably barely get low settings at 1080p in modern games. Some games will probably be unplayable. You need a new motherboard and CPU and RAM.

XAshKetchumX

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
For me, it's too late to turn back now. I knew I'd regret this later on when I could've built a new gaming PC by scratch. But can the upgrades at least run Minecraft and low intensive games at least? I usually don't play a lot of highly graphical intensive games.

To be honest, even minecraft will be very rough. You have the bare minimum CPU for the system requirements. You can probably play at lowest settings and tiny render distance at playable framerates, but not much else.

Other modern games will struggle to run at all as that CPU will not meet minimum requirements for pretty much any game from the last 2 years.

XAshKetchumX

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014

Aw dang. I guess it's time to save up money for a new gaming rig I'm gonna plan soon I guess. Thanks for your time though, I really appreciate it!

Redlinebuzz

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
I stole one of these my wife wasnt using, put an AMD 6670 in it, with one gig of ram and an ssd it plays arma 3 on low settings, my son uses it to play with me on multiplayer, not bad for an ancient pc! With some more ram and a faster cpu should maybe hit medium settings, nice.