Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P rev 3.0 CPU advice - FX6300?

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hi guys. I am looking to update a lot of my system over the next 10 months (ready for launch of Star Citizen I hope).

I am on a very tight budget, about £300 which needs to get me RAM, GPU and CPU...... I know right....

So my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2P rev 3.0 and I was hoping to upgrade to an AMD FX6300 CPU, although not listed as a supported CPU I have read it should run? Can anyone confirm this?

But I have also recently read a couple things indicating there may be running issues? Is 'bottlenecking' the correct term for this? I was hoping to just tweek a little more out of it and run at 3.8/4ghz?

Alternatively what would be the 'best' cpu I could run on this motherboard? Ideally I think really I went a new motherboard and CPU, probably go i5, but finances are tight....... If I can just get something useable for now and then upgrade again mid next year.

Thanks guys in advance

CrispinSaro

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Hi, unfortunately it does not support the FX-6300 because it needs and AM3+ socket.
The best CPU you could get on this motherboard would be the Phenom II X6 1100T.
However if you really want to stay AMD and keep the FX-6300 then you should get this motherboard which is really good for the price:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extreme3

Asrock 970 extreme 3 which is around £50 - £60

I could get you a components list for around £300 but I would need to know what you would use the PC for.

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Thanks for your reply. That Asrock looks a good option tbh, this is what ive come up with (its a bit over budget but think its worth it). System is almost entirely for gaming. I have selected the Asus similar motherboard just as an option.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2WTab

What do you think?
PSU is pos a bit over the top but it looks good for price and may as well go future proof?

CrispinSaro

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
This build seems on point for gaming, however i would consider your motherboard + CPU, you could get an FX-8320 which is just a £30 more and it is future proof for games that might come out like GTA V and it is a bit faster as well. The motherboard is also good but you do not want to overclock on it, I would recommend going for the M5A97 series or the M5A87 series both are a tad bit more expensive but they are worth it.

My current specs are:
FX-8320
M5A97 PRO
2X 4GB RAM kingston
Geforce GT 630
Im upgrading my geforce to a R9 280x
But heres an overall summary of a budget but near to perfect gaming set up:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2XsAX

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
That looks good to me, I wasnt really aware motherboard effects ability to clock I assumed it was all to do with cpu. Thanks again :)

CrispinSaro

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
It is ok, you are right for overclocking you do need a compatible CPU but you also need a motherboard that can take the heat and also a CPU cooler which can cool the CPU down. The CPU build I showed you lets you overclock however you really need to get a good CPU cooler, e.g Artic Wind, Corsair or coolermaster.