Upgrade to Gateway DX4300 (need suggestions & help)

Sussey

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
I'm probably long overdue to upgrade hardware on my Gateway DX4300-11 & was hoping to get some recommendations.

I use the PC for moderate gaming (SC2 & WoW mostly) and would love to improve the video performance (typically get 25-40 fps on the game's 'fair' settings, but would like to be able to run on a higher performance setting).

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 2.5
1 TB HDD
8 GB RAM (DDR2)
300w Power Supply
nVidia 9800 GT

Everything is the factory default except the upgrade to an nVidia 9800 GT video card.

Price range of upgrades are malleable with the expected results, and while I'd love to get more out with little in, anything much over $300 and I'd probably start thinking about replacing the whole thing and deal with the current rig until that time (unless that extra bit will keep this one functioning well & be worth while).

I'm no expert, but I feel comfortable in being able to replace hardware on my own.

Thanks for your consideration.

If this thread belongs in another section please let me know.

Grogar123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
I use this graphics card to play Wow, Sc2 as well and here are the specs i have gathered from playing WoW.

Dungeons 40-60 Fps (Hardly goes below 50fps)

Raids 30-50 Fps (Even on Elegon)

Idle in Stormwind/Orgrimmar 70Fps

My graphic settings are at ultra and those ^ are the frames i get.

~Graphics Card~
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612

And good thing about this card is its powered by PCI so you just have to plug it into the video card slot and its ready.