Monitor goes black when using graphics heavy applications.

samuelzander

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
Recently bought a gigabyte r9 280x Windforce Edition . Drivers are up to date and using a good 600 watt psu. the mobo is a b75 and the cpu a core i5-3470. My monitor is a Samsung Sync Master 793df(1024 x 768). I'm using a Dvi to Vga adaptor. when playing high end games like crisis 3 and bf4 the display just freezez and shows BLACK STRIPES. and those games don't even lag. thet are beinh played at ultra with reasonable framerates. The computer just stops. no sounh,the pc is on but nothing but black stripes on the display.

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you sound is going as well (from your description) then you might have a faulty graphics card.

First thing I would check is that the card is seated correctly in your PCI express slot, and also double check the 6/8 pin power connectors are in properly - never hurts to double check.

If sound continues as normal I would suggest the old monitor is struggling with the output, but as you say the sound goes then its something more substantial.

Its one of those difficult to diagnose problems where you really need to be able to try another card in your machine, or stick your card in somebody elses.

Oooh, the answer to Crysis3 btw might be to drop the setting down from Ultra - I dont know if it still exists but there was a major issue on ATI cards with Crysis3 and using highest level settings.

One more thing...if you can afford a 280x surely you can upgrade your monitor to something nice and shiny :) (I dont think that is in any way the fix...just saying :) )

apcs13

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I am 99.9% certain that it is a problem with your graphics card, it is defective. I had a 280X myself, but mine broke as soon as I booted up a game for the first time even after a day of normal usage without issue. And when I say broke, it literally broke, the PC didn't work with that card ever again, which is why I got a GTX 770. I would RMA that card, the R9 2XX line of cards have a ridiculously high DoA rate.

1024x768 with a modern i5 and r9-280x? i'm crying right now.

At that resolution you should have saved $400, got an i3 and a 7750 and you would have games just as good. Really, spend some coin on a better monitor.

As to your question... at that resolution 100% of the load is on your cpu, not the gpu. It's likely your just crashing out the game; i doubt the gpu is even hitting 5% load on a 1024x768 screen.

Though your setup points to the cpu or software/drivers being at fault, the specific error you're describing does make me think it's the gpu which is faulty though. Test it. Pull the gpu out, use the igpu on your intel and play crysis3 on ultra at 1024x760. The igpu (crappy as it is) probably will manage pretty well at that tiny resolution. See if you get the same error or not. If you get the same error then the problem is in the software/drivers (probably) or maybe even your cpu is overheating (possibly)...

if you have a desent psu 500-550 than can give 30A on the 12v rail then the 280x should work just fine. also your vga adaptor could be the problem. even the cable.since your monitor is so old it might be also the problem. for starters try another adapter which is cheap. its high time you upgraded to a 1080p monitor though!

samuelzander

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I down clocked the gpu core clock and memory clock to 1000mhz and 1375/5500mhz and everything works fine. I'm basically using a 280x with hd 7970 clock frequency's. thanks anyway