Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Gigabyte
  • Cooler Master
  • AMD
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2014 11:16:17 AM

How safely can I overclock the FX-8320 using this combination of components to without causing it to screw anything up in my system? I've read that you can overclock the FX-8320 to 4.5GHz with just a change in the multiplier and no change in the voltage. How would I go about doing this in the UEFI program? And my RAM is 16GB DDR3 Corsair XMS 1600 MHz 1.5V.

More about : 8320 gigabyte 990fxa ud3 cooler master 212 evo

a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2014 11:23:29 AM

Hi there,
These FX CPUs are fantastic overclockers. With a Hyper 212 evo you can expect a 4.2~4.5 GHz OC depending on your chip & ambient temps.
AFAIK, the fx 8320 would require a voltage bump to run @ 4.5.
FX cpus can handle voltages very well as long the chip isn't over heating.

This guide should help you understand how bulldozer/piledriver CPUs Overclock.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-pi...
Sin0822's guide should help you out since he uses a gigabyte board.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/bulldozer-overclocki...

Just keep in mind that he LLC setting on gigabyte boards work differently compared to ASUS.

Quote:
By KyadCK : Alright, I promised I'd explain why VBoost is better then VDroop and how Gigabyte handles LLC on at least the UD3, so here we go. (This is based on the latest BIOS)

Many of you probably know that it takes less voltage to do normal tasks with an OC then it does for long-therm stressing. Fairly known fact, suicide runs are done the same way. We also use Cool'n'Quiet to reduce power usage when the computer isn't in use, but it's not very effective for "normal" use where it puts us up to full speed and voltage anyway.

Gigabyte's most recent BIOS, for me, has LLC working this way:

AUTO: Whatever your board decides on... I have no idea what it wants to do sometimes, seems random.
Regular: Keep voltage steady.
Medium: +.025v
High: +.05v
Very High: +.075v
Extreme: +.1v

I'll use my chip at 5Ghz for this example.

When I'm just doing normal things like web browsing, I can be stable forever on just 1.5v. However, when I'm playing a game, I'll need 1.525-1.536v. When I'm stressing with IBT, I'll need 1.55-1.56v. Knowing this, my best LLC choice would be "High", to add up-to .05v under maximum load. It won't boost that high all the time, or even most of the time, but when I do need it, it's there. Normal overclocking would have me riding at 1.55v all the time, but this way I can allow less voltage to go through the CPU when I need it less, like an overclocker's version of C'n'Q.

The idea is to find the offset between full-load voltage and normal use voltage and adjust accordingly. Makes Overclocking more complicated by adding in another factor, but if you use it right, it can pay off. These chips draw a lot of power under load, this can make a fair dent in it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-...
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2014 11:43:13 AM

bartholomew said:
Hi there,
These FX CPUs are fantastic overclockers. With a Hyper 212 evo you can expect a 4.2~4.5 GHz OC depending on your chip & ambient temps.
AFAIK, the fx 8320 would require a voltage bump to run @ 4.5.
FX cpus can handle voltages very well as long the chip isn't over heating.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-...

Yeah I was browsing overclockers.net yesterday and what I found is that with my particular motherboard that I have to turn off all the power saving features both on the BIOS and in Windows before I can overclock which I did. My power supply is a 1st gen Corsair TX750 which shouldn't give me any trouble if I do in fact change the multiplier.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2014 11:47:35 AM

I'm running my Fx8350 @4.5 on a seasonic 520w.
Your psu is more than enough. Also your board has a solid Vrm setup.
As long as your temps are under control there is no need to worry about high voltages on this chip & board.
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
February 20, 2014 5:10:31 PM

Got my 8320 up to 4.84ghz today using the rig in my sig. Great little chips.
a c 395 K Overclocking
a c 425 À AMD
February 20, 2014 5:55:43 PM

FX8320 and 8350 overclocking beasts.

5.2 on my 8350.
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2014 6:10:38 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
FX8320 and 8350 overclocking beasts.

5.2 on my 8350.

OK so how do I change the multiplier without changing the voltage? Here's a picture of the UEFI as I have it now:

This is running on default settings. And here's the CPU-Z screen shot for good measure:

!