Do current flat panel TV's make decent monitors?

jamesgw001

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
What kind of specifications on a flat panel TV should be looked at or considered for best gaming performance when connected to a gaming PC??

Solution
LED TVs and computer monitors are the same technology; TVs are just larger and have many more inputs and have processors onboard to handle motion enhancement, stretching, upscaling, etc. that a GPU would usually handle with a monitor. If you use a TV you need to make sure to turn off any enhancements the TV processor provides as your GPU with newest drivers will do everything better.

leeb2013

Honorable
yes, I used a 42" 1080 LG LCD TV for 6 months and it was excellent, even sat about 1.5m away. I've recently switched to 3 smaller monitors which are obviously sharper, but TV was fine, if that's what you've got already. It was nice to sit further away and still have my field of vision filled.

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
LED TVs and computer monitors are the same technology; TVs are just larger and have many more inputs and have processors onboard to handle motion enhancement, stretching, upscaling, etc. that a GPU would usually handle with a monitor. If you use a TV you need to make sure to turn off any enhancements the TV processor provides as your GPU with newest drivers will do everything better.

Solution

nagasama

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
samsung un32f5050 32" 1080p tv as my main monitor. went from acer 1920 x 1200 24", and honestly i LOVE it. i sit with my eyes about 2-2.5' away from it. you do have to tweak it to make everything look good, but once you do...awesome.

ERIC J

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I use a toshiba 50" L1350U which has 4.4.4 chroma sub sampling(this is for a clear text and no bleeding of colors) and is 1080 HD and it is a awesome pc monitor, text is crisp and clear for surfing and gaming is outstanding on it. i also use it for watching movies and vids.
cost me $599 on sale which not a lot and considering it looks every bit as good as a reg PC monitor i think it was a steal.

TRENDING THREADS