Monitor Won't Turn on After Installing New Graphics Card

dehunter456

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
I just installed a new graphics card into my HP Pavilion 500-023w as well as a new PSU. Now, the monitor to my computer won't turn on. I've tried it with other monitors, but it didn't work. I've never replaced parts to the computer (infact, this is my first time opening up the computer). When I take out the graphics card, the computer runs fine though. Am I doing something wrong?

Computer Specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03770775&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Graphics Card: PNY NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2GB GDDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card VCGGT6302XPB

PSU (it works without the graphics card): Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX430)

Keep in mind that I am a real newbie when it comes to this stuff, so I would highly appreciate it if you guys would explain in more detail.

BennyJi

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hi there,

Start with basic troubleshooting: Does the GPU turn on (does the fan cycle)
What monitor are using and what connection? (DVI VGA HDMI etc)
Is the GPU properly seated in the slot?
You say youve tried it with other monitors, have you tried the whole PC system or just the GPU?
Can you try your GPU in a friends computer?
I'm not too familiar with your GPU and I'm currently on a work machine but does it require PCI power? (look at the top of it, there may be a 4/6/or 8 pin slot or a combination of those, if so does your power supply have an appropriate lead?

If theres still no luck from that, it could be a faulty GPU. Where did you purchase it from? (make contact and let them know youre having troubles)

A quick google search listed the GPU as requiring a minimum 300w PSU so yours should be fine (Corsair is a solid brand)

Good luck in finding a solution,

Regards