Could I5 be faster then I7 ?

That is correct assumption but we have to give the OP the benefit of a doubt that he understands that new CPU's are introduced because there is progress in technology and 1st gen I7 would easily loose to 4th gen I5!
Although I answered a question yesterday about which is faster dual core or core 2 duo which is a dual core as well.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
There is a marketing purpose and an expected use with the chip design.

i3's are more geared and oriented towards home use and simple business oriented solutions.

i5's are more mainstream business oriented chips and are the backbone of most gaming system setup.

i7's are targeted towards users with very specific high load tasks such as modelling, video rendering and generally requirements where time to finish a task are of a critical nature.

you can game pretty much equally on any of the chips from the same architecture but there is measurable differences when say a rendering load is involved.

In my office, we do product renders using flamingo raytrace and that software is sadly not optimized to even use a gpu. Although our workstations have quadro cards, raytrace only employs all the phisical and logical cores available and the i7's>i5's>i3's...and we have tested this.

render times on a lower clocked i7 (a 930 with a 2.9 GHz base speed) still finishes faster than sandy i5 we have (I think it's a 2400 with a base clock of 3.1 Ghz and 3.4 turbo)

-Satyam