Need help deciding on a video card!

Veyrah

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I worked a bit on my first desktop build. So far i've decided on quite some things:
i5 4670K (2X4 GB Vengeance RAM)
ASUS Z87-C MoBo
Corsair 750w PSU

Now this all fits nicely in my ~800 euro budget..
My needs are for gaming (strategy, BF4, TES series), most likely on a 75Hz 1080 screen, though I might expand to a 2nd screen later.
Now first off I decided on a gtx 760, but I decided to step up a bit and now I havethe choice of a GTX 770 or the R9 280x. The motherboard does support Xfire, so for future expansions (a 2nd radeon) the 280x makes sense, but i've read and heard a lot from people to stick with the 770 since its the same price and is more reliable in terms of drivers and company orso. from the benchmarks i've checked the 280X was matched equally against the 770, and also had that nice 3gb Vram.

So I'm asking you guys, should i go for the 280X or the 770? Or even a whole other card?

UncreativeName

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Honestly i prefer the 280x. The extra GB of vram is nice on the 280x, expecially if you are playing on a higher resolution. Just get which ever is cheapest or the one you prefer because they are both solid cards. My pick would be the sapphire r9 280x toxic although it is on the expensive side.

Veyrah

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

Can you state where the extra GB comes in handy? :)
Also, I would go for the cheapest but the 770 and 280 both start at 260 euro's, which is kind of my budget for the video card I want.

And does anyone have tips for choosing the card, taking the future in mind? (If i get an Nvidia now and i have to upgrade i have to switch it with another newer card since i cant SLi with the motherboard, CF does work with the motherboard but i have heard bad things about CF)

UncreativeName

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
The 280x's extra VRAM will be handy if you want to play on a higher resolution, and new games like BF4 have been known to use very close to 2gb of VRAM, however it doesn't make that much of a difference. Its more of a bonus becaus realisticly 2gb is enough for 1080p because the GPU is more likely to be underpowered for gaming before 2gb of VRAM isn't enough. Another thing going for the 280x is mantle API, which should give the 280x performance boosts since alot of newer games are choosing to utilize AMD over Nvidia. If you are looking to SLI/xfire in the future then that changes the favour to the GTX 770. SLI is light years ahead of cross fire.

Veyrah

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Allright. That covers the dual GPU question and the VRAM question.

Now, I've seen a couple of Physx scenes and also some upcoming Physx usage (Wolf fur in the next witcher) which I REALLY like. I'm leaning towards the 280X as of now, and i've heard and seen some video's where they let the CPU handle the Physx so you can have Physx with an AMD. Any experience/opinion about that?

UncreativeName

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I never new about running phys x on the CPU, but after a quick search it seems that some people have some issues with it, but i never new about running it on your CPU so theres not much i can say unfortunately.