Upgrading/New System Advice Needed

SllimMada

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I have no idea what the budget is I need to set for a PC Upgrade. I'd like to build my own for the first time. I am hoping if I give info about my current PC, when I bought it and what I do you guys can help me out.

I use my system for gaming, design work (photo shop, illustator), occasional video work (After Effects, Premiere ... this is painful).

Current System: Dell XPS 420
Purchased: 2008
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @2.66GHz
Installed memory: 1GB x 4
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
My monitors run at 1920x1080

I thought about Upgrading my current system but, because it is a Dell I am limited in choices. I do not know how much more longevity it would give me.

Upgrades I considered:
RAM: 2GB x 4
Graphics: ASUS GTX650-E-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 2GB 128-bit

The reason I am upgrading to be able to run current games at at least "High" quality at a descent FPS. Would also like to be able to record gameplay as well with programs like FRAPS without having my FPS cut in half. Any suggestions on builds ... price ranges I am looking at ... etc are appreciated. Sorry if this is too vague.

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Getting more RAM will help a little with your photo and video work. You probably won't be able to upgrade anything else without getting a better power supply though. To get games running at high quality, you'll need to spend closer to $500 (new motherboard, cpu, RAM, graphics card, and power supply).

Scoutdrago3

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

Hes right, even with the R7 260x, you will only be able to get medium-high settings with 30-40 FPS. Although, he Mantle might help if you play games like BF4, Thief, and other games that support mantle.

SllimMada

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

$500 is a lot less than I thought I'd need to spend.
I do not know what the Specs I should be looking for are on all the difference parts. Any help in that department?

SllimMada

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks for the tips. I am fine with waiting.

How do you decide on a what motherboard to get? I assume that will control all my other purchasing decisions, but I do not want to get a mother board that will be obsolete in a year or two and I will not be able to upgrade. Or perhaps I am being to paranoid about such things.

(if you just want to point me to articles instead of babysitting me, I understand. I just appreciate the direct help.)

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2YavS - This reuses your case, hard drive, RAM (plus adds 4gb more, assuming you have DDR3), and dvd drive for $418, but add $80 on there for Windows.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2YaE3 - This includes everything you need for a new build for $650

Either one of those will give you medium-high performance on most games. If you can spend a little more, I would get a GTX 660 (+$50) or i5 4770 processor (+$100, remember that you have to pick a compatible motherboard as well).

StarBG

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
He must have DDR2 with the system and if it would be DDR3 the mainboard would have to be with 8 RAM slots to fit in.
You can take from the old system the HDD,OS,dvd drive and case and get mainboard,cpu,ram and GPU and then sell the old parts to get some money back.

zeph_yr

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Whoops, I read it as 1x4gb. My bad.

SllimMada

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks everyone! Playing around with PCPartPicker.com now ... this will help my decision making process a lot. The more I play the higher the price goes up ... Thanks again everyone for the help.