FX-6100 to dual xeons E5345

Should i stay on my PC or get my friends Dell?

• Stay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go for my friends Dell.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upgrade my machine

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Jesus Gomez

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hi everyone!

This is what is happening to me.

A friend of mine is selling a dell precision 690 with dual xeons E5345, 16 gb of ddr2 memory(4 channels ), 2x 750 gig's HD's and nVidea quadro GF and i have a Amd FX-6100, 4 gb of ddr3 memory and 1TB HD the thing is that he told me that if i sold my PC for he would give me his pc for about 400USD, and the real question is, if i buy his Dell pc would that be an upgrade or a downgrade, is it a good buy for a somewhat old machine or should i stay and upgrade my PC?

The main task that i do is programming(I'm a student not yet graduated) and play a little with a HD7770 Vapor-X that im going to keep anyways, could i use it on the dell pc if i go for it?.

Thank you in advance, sorry if i didn't explain myself properly, English is not my first language.

g-unit1111

Titan
The primary question you should ask is what are you going to be doing with this PC once you purchase? There's not a lot of applications out there that take advantage of dual CPUs and there's no games that do.

jacobnestell

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
Xeons are number crunches they arnt made for gaming, Duel Xeons are for rendering massive amounts of files in a short time not optimized for gaming so if you are going to be crunching numbers not gaming then thats a very good decision

g-unit1111

Titan

Xeons have other uses besides number crunching. They're particularly made to run large numbers of Virtual Machines (VMs) and they're also made to use in a server enviornment.

Jesus Gomez

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks a lot for your answers i fell more like keeping with my current rig, and upgrade it in the future, eve though I am having serious temperatures issues whit north-bridge(untouchable) and even in idle the HWmonitor says TMPIN1 is at 48c to 53c not normal at all I already change the thermal paste and temperature got even higher(Bad application I guess) going to re apply paste and put an old cpu fan i have roaming around the box of spares. Once again thank you very much to both of you for the answers.

P.S, if someone know how to fix the issue in another way please PM me.