Cant install OS on semi new build. BIOS issue?

maggiechow

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I'm not quite sure if this is exactly the right subforum but I can't find anything more general.

I've been putting together a PC for my brother using my old motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU combined with case, power supply from an old family PC and a brand new Hard Drive. While everything works physically, I'm running into errors installing an O.S.

When I attempt Windows 8 installation (from disc) I get as far as 'getting files ready' until it reaches 68% where it stays for about 20 mins until giving the error - 0x80070001 - 'Windows cannot find files, make sure all files are available'. I tried swapping out the optical drive for a spare but it produces the same error at 68%.

I then tried installing Ubuntu from USB. The installation nearly completed but then gave the error [errno5] - input/output error 'the installer encountered an error copying files to the hard drive'.

Does anyone have any ideas? I suspect it may have something to do with the configuration of the hard drive in the BIOS but I couldn't say what.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.