Please comment on my build

ThatsOffensive

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

I now own my computer around 2 and a half years and feel I need something new. I've also put my current computer together. But back then I was not very experienced at this and made a (few) critical mistakes. One of them was setting a budget but still trying to get the most out of it. So I spared money on the casing, the drives and the hard disks.

My GPU is always running 90 degrees, even in the winter at max load. In the summer it goes even higher, which terrifies me. Also having a SATA2 5400 RPM hard disk is a pain in the ass.
So now I won't make those same mistakes again. After a few days of research I've put a build together. I am not done with research by far, I just want your opinions on this so far.

Also, I am a very fanatic gamer and I find it horrible to play on low FPS and graphics.

Monitor: Asus 3D LED Monitor VG248QE 24" 308 euro
Casing: Cooler Master Big Tower HAF X eATX No PSU 139 euro
PSU: Corsair Voeding CSM Series 750W 93 euro
MOBO: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H iZ87, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0 145 euro
CPU: Intel Haswell Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz 200 euro
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB, DDR3, PC17066, CL11 154 euro
GPU: MSI Videokaart PCI-e GeForce GTX760 Gaming OC 4GB 270 euro
HDD: Western Digital Harddisk 2.5" Black 500GB, SATA300, 7200rpm 60 euro
SSD: SanDisk SSD 2.5", 128GB, SATA600, Ultra Plus 80 euro
Drive: -

Also I am thinking of buying:
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 60 euro
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate 110 euro
Mousepad: Razer Muismat Goliathus Alpha Control Fragged Edition 25 euro
Headset: Logitech G35 100 euro

Some of my concerns:
- Bottlenecking
- Casing TOO big
- Not needing 750 watt for a PSU
- Mobo too expensive

Also, at this moment I am not planning on overclocking but I might in the future.

Please give me your honest opinion on my build, and if I should change anything.

Thanks in advance!

animal

Distinguished
I'd drop the RAM from 16 GB down to an 8 GB kit, and 1866 CL9 will run faster than 2133 CL11 memory. Just make sure whatever memory you choose is compatible with your mobo. You will need to add an aftermarket CPU cooler if you plan to overclock, but maybe even if you don't since you see such high temps year-round. Also, you might want to consider stepping up your GPU to a GTX 770 and your PSU may be oversized if you plan on only running a single GPU (even with overclocking).

AgentTran

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
I heard the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate is not that quality of a keyboard.
Try going for a corsair keyboard instead, imo it looks better.

Search up K95 and K90.

ThatsOffensive

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
I don't own it yet, I am trying to make on though. This is what I have in mind so far and I want some advice/comments on it from other fellow builders :).

ThatsOffensive

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for the comment, I don't know how much RAM is exactly necessary. Would 8gig be enough for the next couple of years? Also I think it's compatible according to newegg. Altough the webshop I am buying from says all the Z87 mobo's only supports PC8500/10666/12800. But I assume they are wrong.

I have the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, so I think that's solid enough for now.

So my current GPU is bottlenecking my CPU? Also what version of GTX770 would I need? I see like 15 different ones. And yes, I think I should get a smaller PSU :). Thanks!

And, how much watt do you think I need for my current build? And what if I change my GPU to 770?

animal

Distinguished
Personally, if you are planning to use the NVidia 3D, I'd go for a GTX 760/770 with 4 GB VRAM. Asus is my GPU manufacturer of choice, but there are many quality GPUs out there. If you are not going to be doing the 3D thing, then a GPU with 2 GB VRAM should be fine.

For a system running a single GTX 760 (with overclocking) I'd recommend something in the 550W (or higher) range from Seasonic, XFX, Corsair (EXCEPT their CX series) or Antec.

For a system running a single GTX 770 (with overclocking) I'd recommend a 650W PSU from one of the aforementioned manufacturers.

To determine motherboard/memory compatibility, either review the motherboard's QVL for compatible memory (should be available on the motherboard's website) or go to the memory manufacturer's website and use their memory selection program/app, just tell it your mobo details and it will display all the compatible RAM kits that they make for it.

ThatsOffensive

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
And thanks, I'll probably go for a 2gig then.
So do more people think I should buy an GTX770 instead of an GTX760?

What RAM should I buy then btw?