'96 Firebird turn signal fell out of housing

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Oh my. I have been driving my Firebird for a few years now and it has been having hiccups all over the place. The headliner is sagging (I need to replace that!), I have had 5 sensors go bad, I swear I need to replace a taillight every other day, and now my turn signal arm fell off!

Okay, not just the arm but also the little box thing that the arm 'plug's into'. Cruise control still works and I can get the wipers to work if I can get the arm shoved into the box just right. (see pictures attached) Is there a way to get the box snapped back into place? Thanks for your help in advanced!

What I am talking about

This is the inside of the steering column, from the left side.

Inside of the housing from the back. The silver nub and white ring is the turn signal switch.

Another image of what 'fell out'

Thanks for your time!

Solution
Looks like there's some damage in there. I'd take the whole thing apart to see what all you actually need. Here's a good explanation on how to do it:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1382932-how-steering-column-repair.html
Remember that in jobs like this scrapyards are your friend. It might be easier to just rip a whole one out of a scrapped car and replace yours. I don't have too much experience on steering columns as I work on large industrial diesels myself. But WSS_003 is a journeyman automotive tech and might be able to help you better than I can.

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Mhm. Probabbly one of the most interesting replies I have seen in awhile. Please tell me you are a troll, or are you seriously in the wrong catagory?

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Did you notice the obvious 'Car' sub topic? Yes, one of us is in the wrong category. I said category (for the third time) not forum.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Looks like there's some damage in there. I'd take the whole thing apart to see what all you actually need. Here's a good explanation on how to do it:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/1382932-how-steering-column-repair.html
Remember that in jobs like this scrapyards are your friend. It might be easier to just rip a whole one out of a scrapped car and replace yours. I don't have too much experience on steering columns as I work on large industrial diesels myself. But WSS_003 is a journeyman automotive tech and might be able to help you better than I can.

Solution

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008

Maybe before responding like this you should take a breath and look to see if you are wrong. This is a CAR sub forum like previously stated for CAR discussions. It has been here for a couple of years. This community has always been a helpful one with very few negative people on it. So please think before posting things like this, especially the insulting of other people and their things.

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks so much wip99gt, I have been looking for a tear-down of the column for awhile but I simply couldn't find a good tutorial, this is perfect! Its nice to see that there are some people on here that actually look at the sub forum they are posting in. Thanks again, cheers!