Second PC, First Gaming/other rig.

flamealchemis

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
So here I have this old pc which I usually used for normal gaming, but then I slowly treaded into the world of photoshop, video editing, Autocad, Lumian and after effects to be plain. But now I am thinking of upgrading the pc finally because I cannot keep up with the lag and the slow performance of the PC and I have learnt enough of the softwares to use the new rig to a good amount.
Here is my old pc build: I would be most probably using only the Powersupply from it and as well as the hard disks.
Processor: Inter Core 2 Duo CPU E7200 @2.53Ghz
Motherboard: DG31PR
Ram: 4GB (2x2GB vengeance 1600 DDR2)
Graphic Card: AMD Radeon HD 5770
Harddisk: WD 500gb and WD1.5TB Black Caviar
Casing: Nothing Great just a local one
PowerSupply: Antec Earthwatt 650W Atx 12v v2.2
Windows: Windows 8.1
Im hoping that I wouldn’t have to change the powersupply. But that’s for you to tell me.

And the new setup that im hoping to get.
Processor: Intel Core i7 4771 4th generation. 3.4 GHz Cache max turbo freq. 3.9ghz
Graphic Card: Gigabyte GTX780 3072MB, GDDR5, Core Clock 954MHz, Memory Clock 6008MHz.
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150, Z87 Socket.
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400BUS DDR3 8GB x 2.
Chasis Corsair Chassis Vengeance c70 Military Gaming Case.
Hard Disk: Western Digital 3TB 3.5” Sata Hard Drive 64Mb Cache Caviar Green.

So am I going alright on my new setup?
Yes I would be installing more fans into the system soon, but wont (cant) hit the liquid cooling. But keeping in mind that I live in a hot and humid climate. Fans are must, but will the 3 fans in the Chassis already will they work out?

That power supply should work, but the 780 is pretty close to its limit. I would go for an 8320 if you're going to be using things like Autocad, and maybe an Asus M5A97 R2. It will save you a bit of money for some better cooling.

flamealchemis

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Umm what do you mean by that the 780 is close to its limit? Sadly amd 8000 series of amd isint available in the region im in.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I would instead go with a 4770(unless the 4771 is cheaper).
No need for a z board with a locked processor.
Might wanna consider 2 x 2tb(or 1tb) instead. Bad to store all work on 1 drive.

The 780 requires a good 600w power supply. I suggested the 8320 because it performs very similarly to the 4770 in programs like autocad, a bit slower, but also half the price. The 477x (doesn't matter too much, really) is better, though, it just depends on how much you want to pay for a small improvement.
Just read that you can't get AMD CPUs, so yeah, like vmN said, you don't need a really nice OC board when you can't OC. Where do you live?

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I actually thinks haswell have it advantages over piledriver in autoCAD. I think autoCAD is using a lot of FP instructions, and piledriver are sharing the FP units, making it working as a normal 4 core. To be clear I am not 100% sure it used alot of FP instructions, but I could imagine it does.

3dsmax.png

flamealchemis

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Umm so you are saying that i5 is putting out more rendered pixels per second.
I'm gonna go with the i7 4770k here the price got lowered a bit (thanks for pointing out the Z series of the motherboard). I dont know if I can post links over here but here in our country this site is the main distributer. www.galaxy.pk or www.galaxy.com.pk

AMD processors are not available here. And would I have to spend another buck to get a better powersupply for this new setup or shall i stick to this one.