Should I buy a new pc now, or wait for the new generation of GPU's?

Tahash

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
Hi,
I'm having a bit of a dilemma:

I'm planning to buy a new gaming pc (particularly for Dark Souls 2 which is around the corner, but for other games as well: Metro 2033, heavily modded Fallouts and Skyrim, Thief, etc.)
I plan on buying a GTX 780.

However, I do know NVIDIA might release a new generation of high end gaming GPU's pretty soon, and so I don’t know if buying now is a good idea, or that it is better to wait and see.

I guess the main variables here are: when will the new GPU's come out, how much will the high end ones cost, and how much better they will be from the current generation GPU's. Of course no one knows the answers to those questions, but I thought that someone might have some educated guesses that might help me make up my mind.

So what do you guys think, should I wait or go ahead and buy?

enemy1g

Honorable
Your guess is as good as anyone else's. But going by this generation, The 870 will likely be slightly faster than the 780. The new cards will likely retail for what the 7xx series did; ie $600-650 for a 880.

If you can deal with your current system until DS2 comes out, chances are the 8xx series will already be out, or close to it. So if you've got the money to spend, might as well wait.

But if you do plan on playing graphically intense games up until DS2 releases, then there's no time like the present; grab that shiny 780.

Tahash

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014

Thanks, Ill probably wait then.