Gaming rig shutting off during stress test

Skeetzy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
I'll start off with my entire rig. Everything has been purchased within the last year, except the processor, which is a few years older.

i7 920 D0
Intel DX58OG Mobo(With latest BIOS)
CoolerMaster V6GT
G.Skill Ripjawz 12GB 1333(3x4GB)
Galaxy GTX 760
Corsair CX750M PSU
OCZ Agility3 120GB SSD
WD 320GB HDD
320GB External HDD
Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
DVD-RW/CD-RW
(5) 120MM LED Case Fans
(2) 140MM LED Case Fans
(3) Cold-Cathode Lights
All wrapped in a Corsair C70, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Processor is not overclocked, and BIOS is set to default, minus fast-boot options. System is connected to a new surge protector with a high Joules rating, I forget exactly what though.

Okay so as I said, everything except the processor is just about a year old(if not much newer). The GPU and PSU were just installed this weekend. The computer has ran fine, running every game I throw at it and never crashing, except during Prime95/OCCT. But that was until the latest update from Battlefield 4, which also coincided with the day I installed the GTX 760. My computer will randomly just shut off. No BSOD, nothing in the event log, and not overheating. I always keep Core Temp running, and have had the full window open on my second monitor to keep a closer eye on temps. Never gone above 65*C on any core, even right before it crashed anytime. It literally just powers down, spend about 3 seconds off, and then turns itself back on. Temps are typically 30-40*C at idle, 50-65*C while gaming.

I have no idea what's going on, and it's got me pretty confused. I ran a MemTest86 with the RAM when I got it, and will be running it again right after posting this. I thought it was a power issue, since I have quite a bit plugged into it, and that's why I bought the new CX750M(I also wanted a modular PSU, so that's not the entire reason). I unfortunately don't have a friend with the same socket CPU/Mobo, so I can't swap those out to test them. Capacitors all are fine on the MOBO, and the surface of the processor looks fine. I just re-seated the CPU today with Artic Silver 5.

I can run a GPU stress test no problem, and play pretty much any game for hours with no issue. Just stress tests/BF4(which I half blame on EA's shitty patches right now). I'm at the point where I'm about to buy another 920 off ebay for the ~$50 they're going for now. A new mobo/CPU will not be possible till next year's tax time, which is the plan anyways.

One thing that did cross my mind, is I installed my OS from my W7 Ultimate Disc, which is Pre-SP1. So I had to download/install SP1 from Windows Updates, which I know can be an issue sometimes. I was going to just do an OS reload tonight with a proper Ultimate disc, but decided to pick your guys' brains before putting myself through all of that.

Any ideas/suggestions to try? Also, if I am to buy a used i7 off eBay, is the 920 my best bet for the 1366 mobo? I did have plans to overclock this processor, so if that's still the best route vs buying a 930 or higher for example, I'm all for it.

Skeetzy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Yes, when it crashes, it's as if someone unplugged it. Instantly shuts off, stays off for roughly 3 seconds, then begins the boot process from BIOS forward.

I very highly doubt PSU, only because it's seen two brand new ones. Roughly a year, I bought a new Antec NeoEco 620W, while I was running my 7770 instead of the 760. That was suggested to me on here by another members, as a proper PSU to run at the time. Then when I bought my GTX 760 and it crashed during a game for the first time, I immediately hopped onto Newegg to order a CX750M. I wanted a modular PSU, with more power to try and overclock, and to fix what I thought was a shortage of power causing the system to crash. I just spent 2 hours tonight, right before posting this, taking out my old PSU, and redoing my entire clusterfuck of wires I had going on in the back panel. I mean, it is possible I got a faulty PSU, but given the scenario, I do doubt it.

Also, ran MemTest86+ for 20 minutes just to see if any quick errors. Tested fine for the short time. Then I booted into Ubuntu, and ran mPrime, which it crashed about about 2 minutes of running that. So the Windows instability issue can be eliminated. When I go to bed tonight, I'm going to let it run memtest for ~16 hours till I get home from work tomorrow. Just to eliminate RAM as much as possible.

Skeetzy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
On my way to try that now. I was considering that may be and issue, but wouldn't something else connected to the same surge protector at least flicker? I have two monitors, my xbox, and FIOS router all plugged into the same strip. I never noticed any of them power cycling/flickering with the restart. I'm in a newer apartment with all updated everything, so I know the wirings good at least.

I'll update once I'm back from trying it in another plug and stress testing it there. I'll be damned if this is the solution! Was very close to just buying an i7 930 right now just to eliminate the processor as the issue.

Skeetzy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Same result, and should note. Have had this issue in 3 different houses now. But I did notice something. If I do the first prime95 option(small FFT I believe), it didn't shutoff. It ran for a good 5 minutes, got up to 63*C on the hottest core, and I shut it off. Switched to blend, ran for 10 seconds then crashed again. I'm giving up on it for the night, just started it back into memtest. Not sure if the blend vs FFT says anything.

I greatly appreciate the help so far, and I apologize if I come off as anything but truly grateful. I run the second store of a local IT company, and deal with hardware issues day in day out. Though usually your typical home/office pc, very rarely gaming rigs. So I get frustrated when I have to come home to another one, especially something I can't figure out on my own. My patience wears thin quick, and if memtest is fine tomorrow, I'll be ordering the i7 930 just to see if it is my processor. Not giving up on this one until that comes in though!

Skeetzy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
As of this morning, memtest had 8 hours and 4 full tests, no errors. Left it running for another 8 till I get home from work.

I ordered a i7 930 for $88 off eBay, comes in Friday. That will either eliminate my processor as being bad, or just make this even more of a fun issue. That's the last piece to this puzzle that hasn't been replaced yet, so figured might as well.

vphillip

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

Did this fix your issue?

I've got a DX58OG that's having the same issue. Tried several different power supplies, several outlets, different RAM, disconnecting EVERYTHING but the PS (Two different ones), one video card (I've tried three different video cards). one stick of RAM (Tried three of those), and the i7-960. I've even used a seperate old ATX power supply to power all my fans (Thinking that one or more of my case fans may be the cause). It still does the same thing: falls on its' face when I get the CPU up to 100% for any length of time. Prime95 does it (Even when booted to a Hirens bootable USB drive), the Intel Extreme Overclocking utility does it (Even at stock "Within specifications" settings) on Autotuning mode and during the CPU stress test mode. Oh - and my World Community Grid installation will do it when I give it access to a major percentage of CPU resources.

Out of curioisity, does your motherboard make a high-pitched squeaking/buzzing noise at times? Mine does - haven't been able to narrow it down to one part of the MB/CPU though. As I've literally taken EVERYTHING else out of this case, I know it is the MB or CPU doing it.

Anyway - I think your MB is failing. I'm pretty sure mine is on the way out.. and I just came out of warranty two months ago. Wish I would have dealt with tis three years ago when the board was new and only did this rarely. If you've got any warranty left on your board, I would recommend getting it replaced before you're out of luck like me.

Skeetzy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Yes, got help from Major Geeks to solve the issue. My mobo was still under warranty for 3 more weeks, and once it was replaced it no longer crashes.

Yes I get the static noise, especially when the computer is idling completely. From what I gather, it's completely normal and just the electricity running through the board. Both the old one and new one did this. I believe it's the North or South bridge.

I'd contact Intel and try to get them to cover it. Just throw around you'll never buy another Intel product, that should get them to help lol.

vphillip

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014

Happy to hear you got it resolved! Thanks for the response. I just might do that.

TRENDING THREADS