Are soundcards really relevant if you have a "premium" motherboard? (2014)

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
So theres the question...
it suddenly popped out as a question in my head because last january I saw a video on youtube (forgot the link) the blatantly tells the viewers that soundcards aren't relevent or even useful if you have "premium" motherboards because those boards themselves would already have on board sound processors that is has no discernible difference from a "premium" soundcard from a gaming perspective...

so what can you say about their claims?

they also explained why you shouldn't plug your "premium" headphones on the front ports because of the distance of the front port to the board (the longer the distance the more the
"noise" heck I don't know thats why I asked here)

if you can also link to it would be much better

UPDATE:
found the link by some luck :D:D:D my karma must be good today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1rXcJuEsy0

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Just about every board I've seen comes with audio, some better than others. I'm not much of an audiophile type of person, so I usually don't care so much. However, you are right in the sense that some of the higher end boards have fairly decent sound. Apparently my Z87 Sabertooth has some really good sound compared to the average onboard stuff. The Maximus VI Formula is supposed to have even better sound I think.

A really good sound card is still probably necessary for those that absolutely need the best, or want to do professional work or something like that, but generally it isnt really worth going out and buying a sound card, especiall if you have a decent board that comes with decent sound, such as the ones mentioned above

If you have mid/high end speakers/headphones or lower, you won't notice a difference unless you're very knowledgeable in audio, or spend forever tweaking everything around. You especially won't see a difference using the front ports, that is a laughably stupid assertion made by whoever that was lol

I'm not saying sound cards don't have their place or use, but for the normal person who doesn't have a $5,000 9.1 surround sound system, they're not worth it. This is, of course, my opinion.