Is there a cheap GPU solution for outputting 120hz to a monitor?

tipler

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014
To watch HD video with the least amount of judder I bought a 120hz/144hz monitor (BenQ XL2411T). I already had a GTX 680 so outputting at 120hz/144hz was no problem. However I'd like to replace that system with a minimal mini ITX based system just to watch HD video (the old system is going to another location).

It seems only high end GPU's are able to output 120/144hz or anything above 75hz but I really only need it to display HD video (at 120/144hz) on the monitor. Is there a cheap solution to do this?

CraigN

Distinguished
Any video card with the proper port (DisplayPort or Dual-Link DVI) will output at 120/144 Hz. The BenQ is incapable of doing it over HDMI, you all you need is a card with the right connections, it doesn't need to be high end at all.

Quick Edit: The GeForce 620 and 630 are listed as both having Dual-Link DVI ports on the Nvidia website, but you may want to verify against the individual manufacturers.

tipler

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014

The motherboard is a Z77M-D3H which has dual-link dvi on-board. When I switch from PCI to IGFX in the bios to use the on-board graphics and connect the monitor to the motherboard dvi-d connector it only allows me to select 60hz. If dual-link dvi is the only necessary thing wouldn't it allow me to select 120/144hz?

CraigN

Distinguished
Sounds like a limitation of the onboard graphics drivers to select that setting, and not an issue with the port specifically. When you switch to your integrated card, are your integrated video drivers up to date, and if so, are you able to tell the software to allow you to specify a custom resolution? If you set a custom profile to 1920x1080 at 144 Hz, then you should still be able to drive it, provided that the IGFX card is capable.

The aforementioned cards are cheap low power cards designed for media consumption and don't run more than $50-$70, should definitely not have an issue driving the refresh rate for media viewing.