Wondering the performance I'll get from CPU + GPU

shale1218

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Hey guys! I'm new to this website and a noob when it comes to PC gaming really :D. But I was just wondering what type of performance I would get with my CPU and GPU combo. Currently I have the Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad running at the stock speed of 2.66 Ghz, and for my GPU I have the Nvidia GeForce GT 640. I've gotten 55 average FPS when on high settings on the indie horror game Outlast. Just wanted some outside opinions on how well I'd be able to run current games. EX: Call of Duty, Thief, and Assassin's Creed
P.S. I know my CPU is outdated and my GPU is entry level but I'm on a tight budget until summer.

Specs:
Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad @ 2.66 Ghz
6 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia EVGA GeForce GT 640

shale1218

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014

Okay, that's what I was suspecting. Over the summer, I'm going to build a new computer which of course means I'll be getting a new CPU. Intel or AMD? And how many cores? I've heard most games only use two, but are 4 core games becoming more relevant?

ubertome

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
If you are looking for a budget build, I would recommend AMD's A10 Kaveri APU and save money on a good GPU later on. It's a Quad-core CPU with some decent integrated graphics, and is capable of running modern games on medium settings, depending on the title. Otherwise, take a look at Tom's CPU guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html.

On the topic of the number of cores, more and more titles are supporting multi-core systems and spending a bit extra to get a good multi-core setup is definitely worth it. Games like Battlefield 4 apparently support up to 8 cores, but don't quote me on that. The only dual-core CPUs nowadays are low-end anyway.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
The cpu is better than the gpu is. Your system would run a lot better with a better video card like the GTX650ti boost, GTX750, GTX750ti, HD7750, HD7770, HD7790, or HD7850. Your cpu would be able to handle any of these.

TRENDING THREADS