PSU-Graphics Card Advise

Elvenkitty

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hello,

I'm getting a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Graphics Card tomorrow. The issue is that the power supply which i ordered will be coming next week, which is a Seasonic 860W XP2 Platinum.

The question/advise I wanted to ask is that will my current system run with my current PSU? Or will I burn it out?

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77-D3H
CPU: i7 3770k 3.5 ~ 3.9 Ghz
Memory : 16 Gb DDR3 Quad - Channel Kingston Hyper Beast 1600 MHz
1 SSD - 120 Gb 3k HyperX SATA 3
1 HDD - 1 TB WD Blue SATA 3
Sound Card - Asus Xonar D2/PM

My current PSU is a : Thermaltake litepower 600W which says that the actual power is 500W and the peak power which is kind of useless 600W.

So if i add the R9 290 Tri-X OC Edition to my current system will I risk burning it out? Or will it be safe for 1 week till I get my new power supply?

What do you think is it risky? Should I wait for the new one or just go for it?

If so what kind of load could I do with it? Play games like BF4 Ultra or just keep it on idle / watch a blu-ray movie max without putting out to much of a load on the current PSU?

Thank you for your advise!

StarBG

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Yo kitty :D, well it should be enough but to be sure you should reset the OC on your CPU for the week. The PSU has not the best quality but it is also not crap and should be able to do it without problems. You can play the games since you wont get 100% load on all cores but dont do PC stress tests since then the system uses maximum power.

Elvenkitty

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hey Star :),

Thanks for the reply and the advise. I think I might have made a slight error when i wrote it was 500 W.
I uploaded an image of my current PSU. It sais that my 3.3V , 5V and 12V rail will equal 580W ?

a0sa.jpg

Let me know what you think.

StarBG

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
40A on the 12v rail is good if it can deliver it and 580w on all rails sounds enough. The GPU can take up to 350w under full load, the CPU takes up to around 165w on full load during a stress test and in gaming much less (around 95w) since the cores are not at 100% use but an overclocked CPU takes more so it is better to reset the OC. Also the other components take also some power, mainboard around 20-30w, RAM max 15w, SSD 3w and HDD around 5w on full load. Also Thermaltake states that the PSU has over power protection and over voltage protection which should make it more safe to use.

Elvenkitty

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I see that sounds really great :D Then I think i'll be safe for 5-6 days till my other PSU arrives , just to be sure i will reset my CPU OC and just keep a casual gaming till then :) Thank you Star you were really a great help :3