Diference between HD resolution x WXGA resolution

julioxrosa

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hi. I have a 15.6" HD (1280x720) screen on my Dell Inspiron 1545 notebook, and I need to replace it. I found a screen with 15.6" 1366x768 resolution (I think it is WXGA). My doubt is if I install the 1366x768 resolution screen will it work or be compatible with my notebook?
Thanks.

Solution
It could well be that your laptop was advertized as "720p capable", meaning that it is higher resolution than native 720p.

Sorry about misleading you earlier, I was looking at 1280x768 on the chart instead of 1366x768. 1366x768 is in fact 16:9, so it should be the right form factor.

That said, you also need to make sure the screen you are buying has the right mounting points, and uses the right video connector for your laptop. Every time I have bought a replacement screen for a laptop, the company selling it clearly lists what makes and models the screen is compatible with. If your model is listed, then you should not have a problem. If it does not work, then you contact them for a return/replacement... not normally a big deal.
Monitor screens are pretty specific when it comes to screen size and mounting. I would highly dobut that this screen would be compatible with your laptop.

720p is a 16:9 aspect ratio, while WXGA is a 15:9 ratio. This means that the WXGA screen would be either too tall, or not wide enough to properly replace the screen.

julioxrosa

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hi CaedenV. Thanks for your answer. I found an article on Wikipedia that has a lot of resolutions with aspect ratio, and on 1280x720 resolution there's 1280 HD / WXGA, and on 1366x768 resolution there's 1366 WXGA, and both are in the column of 16:9 aspect ratio, according to this article. Then I thought that there was 2 type of WXGA (1280 and 1366). I'm kind of confused. Thanks.

julioxrosa

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014

Hi, I'm not sure, but it's because back on LCD screen is 15,6" HD, so I thought it was 1280x720. And most screens that i found to replace are 1366x768 too, so that's why I'm confused.
Thanks

It could well be that your laptop was advertized as "720p capable", meaning that it is higher resolution than native 720p.

Sorry about misleading you earlier, I was looking at 1280x768 on the chart instead of 1366x768. 1366x768 is in fact 16:9, so it should be the right form factor.

That said, you also need to make sure the screen you are buying has the right mounting points, and uses the right video connector for your laptop. Every time I have bought a replacement screen for a laptop, the company selling it clearly lists what makes and models the screen is compatible with. If your model is listed, then you should not have a problem. If it does not work, then you contact them for a return/replacement... not normally a big deal.

Solution

julioxrosa

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014

Hi, so what is confusing me is that back on original LCD screen has 15.6 HD, and the screens that I've found doesn't mention this "HD", just the resoltuion 1366x768, what gives the same aspect ratio 16:9. But the others aspect, numbers/position of pins, etc, are the same.
Thanks again.

Don't worry so much about the screen specs. Find a place that sells replacement monitors, tell them what laptop you have, and they will point you in the right direction for getting a proper replacement that will work for you. The mounts and connectors matter much more than the resolution. If you end up with a higher resolution monitor, then great, but you would be hard pressed to find a lower resolution monitor at that size.