Windows 7 64 Fails Every 4 to 6 weeks

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
I have an Amd athlon 6400+ (dual) machine stock clocked at 3.2. I've had it since 2008, always worked like a dream. Bought a better rig and switched it with family computer. Ever since then (3 years) every couple of months I have to fresh install windows because it can't be recovered or repaired or restored. Something terminal always prevents windows from loading. I've replaced the motherboard, harddrive, sata cables, power supply, windows version. Nothing works.

I use MBAM, AV and firewall. And none of the various progs detect anything, I even ran rootkit etc and 0'd and reformatted the drive when I replaced the mobo leaving everything disconnected without power for hours, even bios battery.

I reloaded it, worked fine for a week, mom took a vaca, no one touched it for a month, first time she tries to turn it on it wants a install disk for system repair. Reloaded a different version windows a few days ago, first it wanted to run chkdsk every boot, then day later it couldn't find the OS and wanted the cd.
HDD tests all show perfect drives (except SMART shows fail in WDDiag, Seatools tests show good, all chkdsk r good. all sound to be humming normally). I'm stumped, I would have guessed static from a vacuum cleaner etc or something corrupting data, but that didn't happen 2 days ago. Could a RAM chip or something I don't think is related be going bad?

I think specs r:
AMD Athlon II X2 6400+ BE
ASUS M2NE-SLI
4 gigs DDR2 (two diff kinds same make, similar model OCZ?)
450w corsair
GF 8800 GTS 512
1TB WD Green
400Gb seagate

I replaced the mobo when windows would stop detecting the PCI slots (wireless card and USB expansion card) after about a week. That cleared up after. But the computer seems to be getting worse and I don't have much left to replace.

I'm losing my mind, please help. Thanks.

Hash1991

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
might be your RAM, you try to replace everything except the RAM.

what WATTS of PSU are you using, the other one. maybe your PSU is run out of juice, power is not stable anymore. try a much higher watts or a new PSU.

Narzter

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I agree with Jason de Leon.

Another problem that might occur, is that you always reinstall a certain program on your PC that makes windows crash/fail.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Thanks guys.

JdLeon: The psu is new, its only 50 watts less than old one, which was around during the crashing years. 450w is plenty for that rig. The RAM I have not really checked, will memtest show me any faults for sure?

Narzter: I had the same thought, I'm now slowly installing each prog at a time, I just re-in'd windows clean, gonna see how long thats stable, but if it takes week/months to fail, I could try just using the latest freeware of everything... but I use most of the same progs from the same installers on my rig and its solid.

So no chance this is static discharge related? Also, should I give any thought to the WD Diag SMART fails, is there a sign of something there?

Thanks

In addition to the possibility of some hardware being bad, how is the power in your area? Do you get blackouts, brownouts or spikes in your power? Have you tried different electric outlets in your home? If it's a power issue, put the computer on a UPS (battery backup) or get a voltage line regulator. Over time, power problems can corrupt your system and possibly even damage the hardware.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

There are very rare barely noticeable momentary brown outs, but this issue has been thru two houses and none of the other computers are affected. Remember, for 2-3 years while it was my computer, it was perfect.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

not 100% ? :( thats not cool. so I'm still fumbling in the dark... at least the RAM is lifetime warrantied... I wonder what they'll give me for ancient DDR2 sticks lol... assuming I can even find a problem.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
wow now the computer is failing after 2 days and the harddrive is almost bricked, cumputer only sees the 171mb system reserve partition. I have to write zeros to the whole drive, then it passes manufacturers (WD) extended test after that... I'm gonna try again with new versions of everything, incrementally. Is this from a virus undetected by malwarebytes pro AND various AVs, or must it be something else?

Hash1991

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
sound like a broken harddisk, if you have any harddisk laying around try using it. if still happening, try replacing your PSU, maybe your PSU is a little low on power

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
Well, I installed everything incrementally and with new software. Seems to be holding - with a few minor glitches that have ur standard windows is stupid solutions. Cross ur fingers and thanks for the advice all :)

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014
ARGGHH So it worked flawlessly for a month, then WORD couldn't find a printer. Fine, common, force driver reload. done. Then it says that some files are corrupted (possibly startup). Said sure fix it. Took ours said good. reboot, force checkdisk upon startup, chkdsk starts finding files "unrecognizable" or something. Back to unbricking and reloading the HDD. which btw has been my storage drive for a few years, not a single error. Put it in this computer so I knew it wasn't an HDD fault.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

Is that a joke? or did u just not care to read much?

Bottom line, I have swapped out everything software and hardware but the RAM and the GFX card. Where am I gonna find DDR2 RAM? And the spare 5830 (2x6pin) i have lying around won't boot (with that PSU i guess - 1 PCIE 6 and jerry rigged molex to pci-e on the same rail too much?). Then again, the computer only tanks after I install Office. I would suspect the RAM, but how could it run great for a month and then go glitch out? I gotta unbrick it and reload the HDD (now a WD 1tb) again when I get a chance, I'm gonna pull all but the original RAM. If that fails, I'm gonna adapt the scottish caber toss to computer toss and start a craze via youtube.