HDMI port for laptop is broken, using USB to DVI converter now.Can I still run games via my graphics card and not integerated?

eyiy1234

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I currently own a Razer Blade 14", the other day there was a piece of anhydrous calcium chloride (the ones used in vitamin bottles to keep the tables dry) which got stuck in my HDMI port. I've subsequently tried to remove it with a small metal pin which resulted in me damaging the HDMI port.

Since there are no other video ports available for the Razer Blade, I've bought a USB to DVI adapter so that my laptop can be connected to a 24" monitor for gaming purposes.

What I've noticed is that the graphics is horrible and it lags a lot. The resolution is indeed higher at 1920x1080 with the monitor instead of the 1600x900, but this shouldn't be a problem since the graphics card that's in the Razer Blade 14" is a GTX765m. So running basic games like WoW or Dota 2 shouldn't be a problem at all.

I fear that it is running on the integrated intel motherboard graphics card instead of the Nvidia GTX765m. What is the best way to check this?

Also, is there some way for me to run games via my Nvidia graphics card on this second monitor without having to fix the HDMI port? Is getting the HDMI port replaced an easy job?

Narzter

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
USB ports don't support such resolution. Never heard of USB's used as a video port at all. I would send that Blade to get repaired, or just play without a monitor.

The USB to DVI adapter is it's own video card, it's not really an "adapter" but an external cheap video card. You are not using the laptop video at all when using it. You may need to replace the motherboard to get the HDMI port fixed depending on what happened. If you just scratched a connector, maybe an easy fix, if you shorted it out, new motherboard is likely. For future use as a computer poking stick, instead of a metal or even plastic part, try wood (toothpick works great). Softer and won't cause any shorts.