First PC build...Help out a Noob please!

Bla Nk

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the pc building world so i just needed some help from the experts. currently I have a list of the components that im going to use already. Here is the list..

Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

WD BLACK SERIES WD3003FZEX 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASUS GTX780TI-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

CM Storm Devastator - Blue LED Backlight Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C8D-16GTX

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH16NS40 - OEM

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

This computer is going to be built for gaming, video editing and photo shop. I'm not sure if the memory/ram is enough. Or if compatibility for all the items are a issue. I'm new to OC but i wanted to try that out but should i get more fans? Or should I go with water cooling? any recommendations? Is there anything off the list that i can add or take off for something else? Any help with this build would be appreciated! Thanks and the budget on the build is $2000 but i can squeeze out $2500 if need be.

it's a bit worse than that, the memory controller is only rated for 1.5V. That memory will run at 1.5V, but only at 1333 speed, maybe 1600. So you probably can't run it at it's rated speed, unless you want to risk damaging your memory controller which is now built into the chip, even if you don't damage it, it will run hotter.

Bla Nk

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks a lot guys/girls for your quick reply. With the suggestions I will swap out the ram and my power supply. I wanted to go with a red color scheme but I couldn't find a good priced and good quality case so I think it's going to be...rainbow color lol. I've done extensive reaserch but being a beginner I just wanted to make sure everything works. I don't like to spend money to find out that some parts can't be used. Should I go with a water cooler setup or just fans? A lot of people said "everyone needs water coolers", but I'm afraid to install it because of maintence and install fear. Would there be a better mother board or will the hero suffice? Thanks again and anymore suggestions to make this a better rig would be appreciated. I would like this rig to be able to keep up with the new games that are coming out.

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
have you tried using pcpartpicker.com to find parts...it maybe able to help with the getting the color scheme you want. you should be able to get the color scheme you desire. if you can put your build together on pcpartpicker it will be easier for us to get you what you want :)

if you are just going for a regular overclock or want cooler temps go with a coolermaster 212 hyper evo. they are like 30 dollars
if your going for a higher overclock then i would go with a watercooler. but i have seen a plent of 4.2/4.2 overclocks on your cpu with hyper evos

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
and as far as the rig being able to handle the games if you are playing on a 1080 60/85hz monitor then you will be fine. if you are using triple monitor setup a higher resolution monitor(1440p+) or a higher refresh rate(144hz) then you would have need sli 780tis.

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable

you will be able to use gsync just fine it works with any nvidia setup that is rated to use it and 780 ti is. basically what it does is lock your fps to an average at what the graphic card is pushing out so you dont get any fps drops what so ever. will you achieve full 144hz on 1 780 ti with in game ultra settings, sadly no. here are some benches to show what the 780 ti gets fps wise on a setup exactly like yours with a light overclock

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_780_Ti_Direct_Cu_II_OC/

my suggestion is to go with the single and if you decide you want more fps or when games become more demanding and have the money to spend then go for it.
and i have heard that alot of people cant differentiate past 96hz anyway so i would just see how you like it.easy way to tell if you want to go with 2 once you do have your setup is to play for a while on 1920x1080 and then lower the resolution down to 1280x720 (disregard graphic performance of course) and focus on the smothness when you turn jump run high speed scenarios. if you can notice a difference and like it then go for it. but i dont know if you will think it is worth another $700

AshyCFC

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($197.26 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($198.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1858.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 04:03 EST-0500)

Full PC build, will destroy ANY game on the market at max settings on single monitor 1080p for $1858. I don't know what you want to do with the spare budget, I can suggest alternatives but this build is fine too for a first PC, I mean you could get the NOCTUA NH-D14 cooler if you wanted to MAX the OC but I only put in the CM 212 EVO because you're just starting out and it can OC decently as well.

I feel I followed the black/red theme well with case and RAM choice but here's some alternative cases:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/apevia-case-xhermesrd

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-caph530r1

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/enermax-case-eca3310br

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($197.26 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($198.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1978.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 04:15 EST-0500)

noctua build with 16gb RAM instead of 8.

Note: The thermaltake case isn't excellent reviewed so i'd splash the cash and get the NZXT one I posted for a bit more.

Scrap the blu-ray drive for a regular CD drive to save $30 if you don't want that.

Bla Nk

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
This might sound like a dumb question but do i need to buy a drive for sd,mico sd etc etc..? Im going to need these slots but for some reason, me being a noob, thought that it would come with the case or something like that...also, im plainning on switching out the HERO VI for the FORMULA VI because it has wifi built in. Or should i just buy a wifi card? I'm trying to make the last changes and trying to figure everything out before i make the purchase on monday. I read reviews on newegg about a lot of defective FORMULA VI MOBO so I'm kind of skeptical about buying that board because i dont want to buy it then have to return it and wait for another one to come in. what do you guys/girls think?

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
some cases do have card readers (what is your case?) but if it doesnt you can get usb multi cad readers or you can use 5.25 multicard readers that connect to your mobo via sata cable. the formulas wifi module is a msata 2 it is a little box you have to attack to the motherboard yourself, just a heads up. also you could always get the hero and get a wireless pcie x1 slot card there should be one that is above your first pcie x16 slot where your graphics card is. all mobo have potential to be doa and the formula is just a hero with a few upgrades. but if your wondering of reliability i have seen plenty that people have hadd with no issue via reviews. the formula is a good choice if your looking for a sweet spot between the hero and the extreme.

Bla Nk

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

I wanted to get the cooler master scout 2 case but it seems like you cant install blu ray drives and card reader drives? The front just looks like a fan and dust proofing...am i correct? I dont mind a red or blue color scheme but i would like the case to be black or white. just the fans to be red or blue. If you could direct me to a good case with good cooling and with the necessary things that i need to install would be helpful. thanks

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
it has 3 5.25 drives so it can support blu ray drives and other 5.25 drives. but it doesnt have a sd card reader on it so you will have to go with drive bay or usb solution. i suggest drive bay(let me know if you need help finding one). and cooler master makes excellent cases good choice

Bla Nk

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

Ok, so i looked on newegg for the sd card reader drives and man....a lot of them do not have good reviews. If you could recommend one for me that would be helpful. Also, i was just going back and double checking my list and I'm confused about the video card. What is the difference with the EVGA gtx 780ti super clocked vs ASUS gtx 780ti vs EVGA gtx 780 ti dual classified? Is it because some are OC and some are on factory specs? Couldnt i achieve those same results if i OC? Or is there something else that im not seeing because there is a price difference between them..is it worth the extra cash to purchase the OC ones?

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable

yea i looked and the ones that run on sata are junk, the usb 3.0 cable ones got descent reviews i found this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992010
the only problem with that is that it runs on usb 3.0 cable and since your board only has 1 port for usb3.0 you would have to choose to hook up your cases usb3.0s or the sd card reader. there is a work around using a usb 3.0 to usb 2.0 adapter but it seems like it would be more of a headache than its worth. you could always go with just the usb sd card reader itself probably cheaper and less headache

as far as the 780ti they all perform similarly and all have hynix memory chips i now on some of the higher end cards like the kingpin from evga they choose the best gk110 chips for over clocking. as far as the others its all about looks, thecooler design and the amount of factory overclock is on them imo

Bla Nk

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I think im just going to go with the SanDisk ImageMate All-in-One USB 3.0 Flash Memory Card Reader since it seems this is the best i can find. I'm changing out a few stuff on the list so if anyone can give me any new inputs i would appreciate that. Here is the new updated list..

WD BLACK SERIES WD3003FZEX 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

ASUS GTX780TI-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH16NS40 - OEM

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX gaming board with double-sided ROG Armor, 23C-degrees cooler CrossChill and 120dB SNR, 600ohm audio

CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handle and Windowed Side Panel - Black

XFX P1-850B-BEFX 850W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM

Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

ASUS VG248QE

For some reason it looks like the Noctua cooler is not going to fit the board, am i wrong? Also switched out the HERO for the FORMULA since BAD KITTY said it was the sweet spot for the MAXIMUS MOBO. Anything else im missing?

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable

its only a sweet spot if you need the extra bells and whistles wifi/sound upgrade/"rog armor" if you dont need them i would stick with the hero. i said it was a sweet spot between the hero and the extreme as far as options and added goodies. however you do want wifi and a decent wifi card is around 35 you would be paying for 235 and a formula is 290 so the choice is yours.everything else looks to be in order and kick a$$