Sapphire's New Low-Profile Radeon R7 240 is Tiny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm always glad to see more low-profile offerings, but DDR3 is a bit disappointing. Not the end of world of course, but as others have said 1gb of GDDR5 would be a whole lot better.

jukkie

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
why do they even bother making this when they already had the 7750 in the same form factor, which is twice as fast, and only is $20 more? i confuse.
Heat and noise. It's mostly for an HTPC.
HD 7750's produce little heat and noise, and considering this new card is actively cooled, what makes you think it will be any better?

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
This isn't a performance part, it is a budget part. The R7 250, HD 7750 and GTX 750 ti all offer more performance in a low profile form factor already.The problem with a card like this is that APUs are starting to hit similar levels of performance. The top Kaveri and Iris Pro integrated graphics are already comparable to an R7 240.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Lowguppy is probably the only person that's on track here. The thing has the same performance as the new apu graphics. This card exists as a replacement graphics card. How many people here have had a Gpu crap the bed randomly? I have. I couldn't at the time even get a replacement within a week so I bit the bullet, went to Walmart and bought the cheapest thing so I could at least use my PC while I waited on a warranty claim. That's what this card is tbh.

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
They should really have designed it so everything is mirrored and the GPU and fan are on the other side of the board. That way it will fit in m-ITX cases better, and have good airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.