Crossfire 2gb cards get 3gb in system requirement???

ksrgd12

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
So I have 2 r9 270x that are 2gb each, however In sleeping dogs or most of my games it said I have 3gb ddr5. I don't think this should happen considering that 2 2gb cards doesn't make 3gb. I need some help on this matter because it feels like I'm running games at a lower fps than I should.

Video memory does not stack when you Crossfire, the data is mirrored across both cards, so you effectively have 2GB of video memory. Some games pull their system requirements data from DXDiag, which has issues with properly detecting video memory sizes, which is probably why it's showing 3GB.

As for whether you are getting appropriate performance for your setup, we'd need full specs of your system, the screen resolution you are running at, along with the games you are playing and the graphics settings you are using, and the framerates you are actually getting.

ksrgd12

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

CPU: FX 8320 not overclock yet
MOBO: Asus M5a97 le evo 2.0
RAM: 2x4GB Adata ddr3 1866 running at 1600
GPU: 2x Powercolor R9 270x(the short yellow one)
PSU: 700w cooler master i700
HDD: Some random 2tb toshiba drive

The problem is crossfire. In most of my games I see lower fps than I should get like sleeping dogs I get higher overall fps on a single card compare to crossfire. The drops in fps is pretty bad to, going from 70fps to 30fps in some parts. BF4 runs at 40-50 fps in real battles and apparently going from ultra to low give me 6 more fps. I noticed that both cards maximum load is always 60-65 percent and the memory clock sometimes drop to 450mhz from 1080mhz. btw playing at 1080p all ultra.

ksrgd12

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

CPU stay below 60c and gpus stays 65c. CPU is around 50-70% usage on each core. I don't think it is a bottleneck, I mean it is an fx 8320, that should easily handle these cards. Idk why it stays in the 60s for gpu load.

Which driver version are you using? I did have a similar problem with my 7870 on one of the beta drivers some time ago where it wouldn't stay at full clocks while gaming and constantly alternate between full speed and idle speed. I had to completely purge the AMD drivers and then install the last stable driver revision to fix the issue.

ksrgd12

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
the newest 14.2 beta, have not try mantle because there was a lot of cpu spikes. Clock speed seems to be stable(sometimes goes to idle speed) but it is the stuttering that I sometimes get and it seems like I get less fps than I should. Also the gpu seems like it will never go above 65% load, I have try wiping out everything and reinstall windows, but nothing. The fps are unstable with xfire enable, with it going from 100 to 30. Anyway I am planning to sell 1 of the cards and later get the gtx 800 series or next gen amd gpu. Never going to sli or xfire again. IDK if the fx 8320 is the problem for the gpu load but from what I have read it shouldn't be a problem even if it is underclock.