Inconsistently no output to monitor on boot up after changing GPU

lovejonesuk

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi.

I have an old inspiron 530s which is a 6 year old dell low profile machine. Currently running windows 7.

Recently I replaced the GPU with a low profile AMD HD 6670.

Previously had an Nvidia card which was an upgrade in installed 4 years ago and never had any problems.

After physically putting the card in I removed (through windows add/remove programs) the old Nvidia drivers and got the newest AMD drivers.

Although the card seems to work great the majority of the time I am experiencing the following problem:
- At initial boot up (every time I boot) no signal is sent from the machine to the monitor (displays 'no signal')
- If I hard reset the machine, there is then an output to the monitor.

- I have tried also attaching a monitor to the motherboard VGA output which it was boxed with, in case there was some confusion there, but no output gets sent through that either.

In addition, this problem happens sporadically during use of the machine. Everything will be going great and the boom no signal to monitor. Interestingly at this time I have noticed that the other peripherals, such as keyboard also malfunction, for example hitting capslock on the keyboard has no effect on the little LED that should light up.

I've used the complete driver removal tools which are often recommended on here and reinstalled newest drivers again.

I'm slightly concerned this is a motherboard issue due to the keyboard error mentioned above.

Any one got any ideas?

Would much appreciate any help.

Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
One of my PCs does that occasionally when I have a send monitor connected DVI and my main monitor is connected HDMI. It seems the card or driver insists on using the DVI output as the default. But once Windows loads, it will switch to the display I have as default in Windows and everything is OK.

Another thing that could be causing that is registry errors. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry portions both. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner