NBA 2k14 Lag

Manu1433

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014
I am playing on a Dell 17r special edition laptop

i5-3210M
Nvidia Geforce GT 650m 2gb ddr3
8gb ram

I have never played games much on a PC and figured i'd this a go on my laptop....currently, I am getting frame rates in the high 40's even on the lowest of settings....the game also just randomly lags up...whenever i am run the video bench mark tool in game it will lag but the frame rate numbers aren't slipping from what they normally are

is this just a bad port? or should my laptop handle this game better than what it currently does?

amalager

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
If you're not playing online, turn your internet off. I usually experience FPS drop when my internet is active. But once offline, everything is eye candy.

Gaming God

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Try these one by one
1. go to options and find video settings. turn the resolution down to 1600 x 900.
turn crowd detail, sideline characters, depth of field, and floor reflection off.

2. use game booster
http://www.filehorse.com/download-game-booster/8370/

3. make sure your system is in high performance mode.

4. make sure you have enough free ram available.

TRY THIS FIRST
5. if your motherboard has an in-built chipset (intel) then in the nVIDIA control panel make sure you have selected GT 650m as the default graphics card.

these should solve the problem. my laptop has i7 3630qm, 8GB DDR3 ram, GT 650m.. I play the game in max settings without any lag. your cpu is not as powerful as my laps that is why I have asked you to reduce settings.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3210M

Manu1433

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014

i've already tried all of that over the the past few days

one thing that I haven't stated...is that I am playing it on my TV via hdmi....would that put additional stress on the CPU or graphics card that would cause lag?

and it isn't like it's constantly lagging....it will run fine for 5 minutes....lag for 5 or 6 seconds then is fine for a while until it does it goes through this again

Gaming God

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
i've already tried all of that over the the past few days

one thing that I haven't stated...is that I am playing it on my TV via hdmi....would that put additional stress on the CPU or graphics card that would cause lag?

and it isn't like it's constantly lagging....it will run fine for 5 minutes....lag for 5 or 6 seconds then is fine for a while until it does it goes through this again
what resolution is your tv?
if it is 1080 or any thing above 1000 then the problem is with your GPU.
the 650 m is not at all good for HD gaming(1080). try to play the game on your laptops screen itself. it will not lag.

Manu1433

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014

well...my monitor is 1080p as well

also....for some reason after experimenting a bit more with the video settings...then putting them back exactly the way they were...it has dropped my fps to the high 30;s :(

Gaming God

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

you should be fine if you use the laptops display. thats all I can tell.