I7 4770K clocked at 4.5ghz, too much voltage?

GreatestGamer

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
My i7 4770k is over clocked too 4.5ghz with a voltage of 1.350. Is this too much? Prime 95 runs about 90-95 degrees under stress and idle it runs around 30 degrees and under heavy video editing around 70-75 degrees.

Everything before 1.350 is not stable.

bygbyron3

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I wouldn't push my Haswell past 1.3v without liquid cooling but I'm pretty conservative with voltage. You're definitely on the higher end especially if that's not with a decent air cooler, which leads to the most important question of this thread, what is your thermal solution?

do not go above 80c unless your doing a quick bench test for a high score. 90c and up is definitely not good and 95c is terrible. you need to get your vcore down and remove heat. what cpu cooler do you have? find the sweet spot at 4.4ghz and 1.30v or there abouts that doesn't get above 80c at anytime during prime and ibt.

GreatestGamer

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I'm using a Hyper 212 EVO cooler master.

Just to let everyone understand regarding the temperatures.

Video Editing - temps are between 70-80 degrees.

Battlefield 4 - temps are around 55-60 degrees.

Idle, on desktop not doing nothing temps are around 30-35 degrees.

The only time the temperatures rise to 90-95 are during Prime 95 or Intel Burn test.
So whats the concern, heat or voltage? Because unlest im benchmarking my temps never go over 75 degrees.

Heat and voltage are both concerns. You shouldn't be getting that hot and using that much voltage can cause issues of its own aside from just generating more heat. Keep in mind that power consumption increases with the square of voltage, so all other things being equal simply having your voltage at 1.35 instead of 1.3 will cause the CPU to consume 8% more power and therefore generate 8% more heat.

heat is the number one concern. unless very superior cooling is applied voltage can be a concern too. depending on the quality of your power supply and motherboard, there can be very small 1/1000th of a second voltage spikes that go much higher than your set 1.35v. you should download hwmonitor and see what your min/max reported vcore is when running intel burn test, although its software measurements its a good rule of thumb to use and you may find that your much higher than you think. dropping down to 4.3 or 4.4ghz at a lower voltage and lower max heat is much better for the long term health of your cpu, and not to mention 100-200mhz its really that big of a difference that you will notice.

with a haswell k processor at 4.5 and a hyper 212, your temps sound about right. if you want to keep running those clocks at that voltage then you should at least upgrade to a nh-d14 or a ph-tc14pe

GreatestGamer

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Thanks everyone.

I've clocked it down to 4.3GHZ at 1.200 voltage, and during stress test I'm now getting around 80-87 degrees.

Not sure if thats now a good temperture, Idle temps range around 25-35 degrees.

Still unable to get it under 80c under stress test.

forged

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
4.3 @ 1.2V and still your temps above 80c? That's a little high. I suggest you change your TIM and report back ;)

For comparison, i also have 212 EVO + 4770k @ 4.5Ghz / 1.25V, i don't remember the temp going above 70c 2-3hrs on Prime95 blend. Ambient is at 23c. TIM i'm using is tuniq tx-4.

Daniele Viti

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Hi, having these different range of temps is due to an incorrect case cooling system.
With your cooler you should go around 25 idle and 70 with ibt at 1.3, i think that your air flow inside the case is configured wrong. Try to adjust the case fans, i suppose that is your problem

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Please read the Stickies at the top of the Forums so we don't have to repeatedly write the same information.

GreatestGamer,

This is from the Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Section 1 - Introduction

Intel desktop processors have thermal sensors for each Core, plus a sensor for the entire processor, so a Dual Core has 3 sensors. Heat originates within the Cores where Digital sensors measure Core temperatures. A single Analog sensor under the Cores measures overall CPU temperature.

Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature due to sensor location. Intel's Thermal Specification is "Tcase", which is CPU temperature, not Core Temperature. Tcase for the popular i5 4690K is 72C. Tcase + 5 makes the corresponding Core temperature 77C.

The relationship between Core temperature and CPU temperature is not in the Thermal Specifications; it's only found in a few engineering documents. In order to get a clear perspective of processor temperatures, it's important to understand the terminology and specifications

Section 7 - Relative Temperatures

The relationships between Ambient temperature, CPU temperatures, Core temperatures and Throttle temperatures are shown below for several popular Quad Core processors. All values are based on Intel documentation.

-> Core i

4th Generation 22 Nanometer: 4670K / 4770K (TDP 84W / Idle 2W)
4th Generation 22 Nanometer: 4690K (TDP 88W / Idle 2W)

Standard Ambient = 22C
Tcase (CPU temp) = 72C
CPU / Core offset + 5C
Tjunction (Core temp) = 77C
Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

4th Generation 22 Nanometer: 4790K (TDP 88W / Idle 2W)

Standard Ambient = 22C
Tcase (CPU temp) = 74C
CPU / Core offset + 5C
Tjunction (Core temp) = 79C
Tj Max (Throttle temp) = 100C

The Core temperatures above show that mid 70's are safe.

CPU temperature and Core temperature scale up and down together. Here's an example:

If CPU temperature is 65C, then Core temperature is 70C.
If CPU temperature is 70C, then Core temperature is 75C.
If CPU temperature is 95C, then Core temperature is 100C.

At 22C Standard Ambient, here's the typical operating range for Core temperature:

80C Hot
70C Warm (Heavy Load)
60C Norm
50C Norm (Medium Load)
40C Norm
30C Cool (Idle)

Your highest temperatures will occur during stability tests. Temperatures are lower during real-world everyday workloads such as processor intensive applications or gaming.

Section 8 - Overclocking and Vcore

Overclocked processors can reach up to 150% of their Thermal Design Power (TDP) when using manual Core voltage (Vcore) settings, so high-end air or liquid cooling is critical. Every processor is unique in it's overclocking potential, voltage tolerance and thermal behavior.

Regardless, excessive Vcore and temperatures will result in accelerated "Electromigration" - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electromigration - which prematurely erodes the traces and junctions within the processor's layers and nano-circuits. This will eventually result in blue-screen crashes, which will become increasingly frequent over time.

CPU's become more susceptible to Electromigration with each Die-shrink, so 22 Nanometer architecture is less tolerant of over-volting. Nevertheless, Vcore settings should not exceed the following:

-> Core 2

1st. Generation 65 Nanometer ... 1.50 Vcore
2nd Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore

-> Core i

1st. Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore
2nd Generation 32 Nanometer ... 1.35 Vcore
3rd Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore
4th Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore

When tweaking your processor near it's highest overclock, keep in mind that for an increase of 100 MHz, a corresponding increase of approximately 40 to 50 millivolts (0.040 to 0.050) is required.

Section 10 - Measurement Tools

In order to properly test and evaluate your temperatures, you'll need:

-> A trusted analog, digital or IR thermometer to measure Ambient temperature.

-> The following freeware utilities downloaded and installed -

CPU-Z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Hardware Monitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Prime95 v26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html
Real Temp - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/

-> Optional; install if you’d like to use the “Charts” to see your thermal signatures -

SpeedFan - http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Section 11 - Thermal Testing Basics

We all remember science class where one of the guiding principles for conducting a controlled experiment, is that it's critical to follow the same procedure every time. This eliminates variables so results will be consistent and repeatable.

Since everyone tests their rigs using X stress software at Y Ambient temperatures with Z measuring utilities resulting in CPU or Package or Core temperatures, it's impossible to compare apples to apples. This is why processor temperatures are so confusing.

Only three temperatures are relevant; Ambient, 100% workload, and idle. Workloads between 100% and idle represent apps or games, which are fluctuating partial workloads unsuitable for thermal testing or for accurate temperature comparisons.

Sections 12 and 13 will explain how to properly test your rig at load and idle using standardized methods. Follow the "Setup" in both Sections to duplicate Intel's lab test conditions. Each 10 minute thermal test will produce a valid benchmark.

Note: Keep in mind that we're thermal testing only. Stability testing is not within the scope of this Guide, which assumes your rig is stable. If you're overclocking, then a combination of utilities, apps or games must be run to test stability.

Section 12 - Thermal Testing @ 100% Workload

Prime95 Small FFT's is the standard for CPU thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload. This is the test that Real Temp uses to test sensors. The link above is to version 26.6, which is well suited to all Core 2 and Core i variants.

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

It's not necessary to run AVX code for thermal testing. Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Prime95's default test, Blend, is a cyclic workload for testing memory stability, and Large FFT's combines CPU and memory tests. As such, Blend and Large FFT's both have cyclic workloads which are unsuitable for CPU thermal testing.

Other stability tests such as Linpack and Intel Burn Test have cycles that load all registers with all one's, which is equivalent to a 110% workload, and are also unsuitable for CPU thermal testing. The software utility OCCT runs elements of Linpack and Prime95.

Shown above from left to right: Small FFT's, Blend, Linpack and Intel Burn Test.

Note the steady-state thermal signatures of Small FFT's, which allows accurate measurements of Core temperatures.

Shown above from left to right: Small FFT's, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility CPU Test, and AIDA64 CPU Test.

The "Charts" in SpeedFan span 13 minutes, and show how each test creates different thermal signatures. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility is also a cyclic workload. Although AIDA64's CPU test is steady-state, the workload is insufficient ... "

GreatestGamer,

What is your ambient temperature?

Which version of Prime95 were you running?

CT :sol: