adding a second graphics card

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
hi there, I was just wondering that if I added a second graphics card to my computer, if it would make my games run smoother. I have read a lot of things on this website saying that if I add another graphics card and set it up with crossfire that even though there is another graphics card that it doesn't improve things at all. I don't have it in my budget to buy an extremely good graphics card so I'm wondering if I buy another average card and run it along side the one I already have, if it will have any improvement.
at the moment I have an msi r9 270x and im wondering if I got another one of those if it will have any benefit to my games

thanks in advance

OrigJoker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Most newer games take advantage of Crossfire and Sli pretty well and the drivers are getting better and better also. You should almost double your framerates in most games which would definitely help performance.

Not sure where you read that it won't help, I have dual Radeon 7870's and pretty much every game I have played runs smooth as silk on max settings. Just make sure your motherboard is capable of adding a 2nd card and your power supply is big enough. Use this to check your PS: http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I read on one of the discussions on here saying that when somebody added a second graphics card through crossfire it caused jumping in the games and added no real benefits to their gaming. I thought I best check to see if that's true before buying a second card. thanks for that guys

OrigJoker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
They did have some issues with what they called "micro-stuttering" in AMD cards for a while but it's pretty much gone now. I never experienced it with my cards but I saw a lot of people complaining about it.

tysonjb1

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
i think that might have been what people were talking about when they said adding a second graphics card on crossfire saw no improvement