AMD Announces the R9 280 Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

houldendub

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Fantastic, a two year old card getting released again. What an exciting and amazing developme...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Eff you, miners! They're going to screw this one up, too. Honestly, AMD has a serious issue here as people like me (a longtime supporter) are forced to go Nvidia in order to get the best performance per dollar. They risk losing the base that kept them afloat all these years.

InvalidError

Titan
Since it is fundamentally the same card as over a year ago just with a new model number, miners are not going to "mess this one up" any more than they already have. From AMD's side of things, a sale is a sale... they aren't going to complain that their GPUs are flying off the shelves at 30-60% higher prices than expected.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Why is it that when nvidia does this and someone points it out their comment gets voted up. AMD does it and someone points it out and their comment is voted into oblivion. Little bias are we toms?

fpga123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I don't get AMD's doctrine anymore, aside from the current generation, all other cards sold at the expected price points in my country, Pakistan. This generation they have stacked them above the 7000 series which is really a rip off. Seeing 7950 at $300 and R9-280X at $450 -_- I think there is a significant inventory still left of 7000 series.

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
What do you want them to do....hey miners stop using my cards, okay thanks. Fricken chill people, just wait or get an Nvidia card, no one cares about your crying. Whining about a graphics card is pathetic

so 280 (non X) will priced at $280? when i heard the rumors about this card i thought AMD will go into price war with nvidia. honestly i was expecting amd to price 280 at $200 and make it compete straight with GTX660

MaxImus009

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Since it is fundamentally the same card as over a year ago just with a new model number, miners are not going to "mess this one up" any more than they already have. From AMD's side of things, a sale is a sale... they aren't going to complain that their GPUs are flying off the shelves at 30-60% higher prices than expected.
Since the 7950 is pretty efficient for mining ecoins, I'm pretty sure it's going to run out of stock the very first week of launch.

If it were not for the mining craze they may have done it at a much lower price. But would it matter if miners go crazy and buy them all up?

The pricing makes sense in an attempt to discourage needless purchases. But it won't make a difference at the end of the day.

Either BTC dies and the price of it comes down to the 200-250$ range or BTC continues and the price goes to 400$ +.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Not like it matters, stock will be non-existent or over-priced anyway. I was forced to go with a Geforce 770 just recently because I gave up the search for a 280x or 290 Radeon after FOUR months of searching. I know there are countless others having their hands forced to go this route as well, but the markups from retailers is disgusting. I still applaud the MSRP assigned to their cards however.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
AMD doesn't get the extra profit. The retailers do.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
guys, guys, calm down. once this whole bubble bursts, prices will plummet and ebay will be flooded with cards from desperate sellers who will part with them for dirt cheap.i forsee 290x's for $300. BELIEVE!

InvalidError

Titan

While AMD may not set retail prices, AMD certainly does set rates for GPU chips they ship to AIB partners and AIB partners certainly do set rates for boards shipped to distributors and retailers so it would be well within AMD's capabilities to raise rates for future GPU orders from AIB partners and and within AIB partners's capabilities to increase their rates on future board orders to carve themselves a slice of the retailers' grossly inflated profit margin.

BTW, noticed how AMD's R9-280's suggested retail price is ~$20 higher than one might expect based on the R9-280X's launch price? Want to bet this is because AMD and AIBs have adjusted their markups on the basis that it will actually end up retailing over $300?

And how will that help the consumer in the long run?

AMD will then be selling no cards, which puts them in a very bad place.

Nvidia has ALWAYS been the preferred graphics card maker. I do not think AMD ever had more market share for any length of time in the discreet market.

Live with it...

so 280 (non X) will priced at $280? when i heard the rumors about this card i thought AMD will go into price war with nvidia. honestly i was expecting amd to price 280 at $200 and make it compete straight with GTX660
Yeah, I don't get the pricing either. The 7950 was going around $250 when that stock dried up. Some sales even had them around $200. I don't see how an 8 MHz OC is worth $30. These should've had a $230 MSRP. A GTX 660 can't keep up with this, and a 760 is only barely faster. Slide this in the price between the two of them and it'll sell fine.

Not that I wouldn't want to see this at $200.

dweezled

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
It's hilarious to continually hear the argument that somehow the high demand for AMD cards is bad for AMD. What nonsense. Have you people lost your minds? The more people that buy AMD's cards the more money AMD can re-invest in their next gen cards. If it was so bad then why is Nvidia so desperate to get into the scrypt mining business by hyping up Maxwell? By the end of the year I'm sure AMD will release their next gen card to blow away Maxwell. They're just playing it smart and milking their silicon for all they can get. Why release something new when current demand is so high? They can play the waiting game until demand falls and they need to release the next gen. If the gamer market was even a fraction of the mining market then AMD would have no doubt released a high-end scrypt crippled card for gamers by now.

I think he's pointing out how the AMD fans don't like it when their favourite corporation does the rebadge thing as then they can't take the high road when Nvidia does the same, as they have done in the past. Remember the stick they were only to happy to hand out when the 8800GT became the 9800GT?

and will you wiling to buy them? knowing those card were push to it's limit on 24/7 basis for months

Status
Not open for further replies.