Fractal Design Define R4 top fans

xero1302

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Hi guys,

I will be going for this case for my next build and I want to know whether there is a dust filter for the top fans as well and if adding 2 fans on top will add more noise to the case.

Please help.

Thanks!

Chickenator

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Hi, owner of a Fractal Define R4 here. On the top of the case, the two fans on top are covered up so no dust will fall into the case, but no, there aren't any dust filters if you are going to place fans there.

Yes, it will of course make more noise, more fans=more noise. Also, the top is not that hard (not loose either) and will vibrate a little when fans are placed there, and that will produce some sound. Don't worry about that though, you will only hear it clearly if the fans are at full speed.

xero1302

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I've read elsewhere the top fans are meant to be used as exhaust that is why there is no filter.

Also, I'll have to look for silent fans for minimal noise levels.

Thanks for the reply though, greatly appreciated.

Chickenator

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013

Hi again, just dropping by to say that top fans are ONLY for exhaust.
The reason for this is that heat goes up, so you want intake at the bottom (bottom fans, front fans, and side fans).

Exhaust fans at the top is excellent because it will pull all the host air rising up, right out of the case. Also very good if you have a cpu cooler that doesn't direct the hot air to an exhaust fan.

xero1302

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Thanks mate, I got it now, I'll be getting an i7-4770 with stock cooler as I do not overclock and those two top fans as exhaust are sure to help.

True thanks.

TRENDING THREADS