SSD's Being Fried

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
for the second time, when I tried to clone my system SSD onto a new Kingston SSD, part way thru I got an error, that there was a pipe problem, and the SSD is no longer recognized by my computer.

could my computer have fried the SSD's when writing onto them? I have just 1 main SSD and adding this second 1. I used to not have any problems with ssd's, using 3 at a time. in fact I can still. it's when I try to clone onto a new 1 here the SSD seems to go bad.

I have had an M5A88-M motherboard for 3 years, no problems.

using windows 7.

any ideas?

clayofthe757

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Easy solution then. Don't clone, reinstall. A fresh start is always good. I do it a couple of times a year just to see my computers run their fastest. Skip cloning. Without all the trouble you've been through it's a pain in the arse.

Good luck.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
doesn't help much. I have to clone and i'm looking for an answer to the problem. of course I would skip this if not necessary.

clayofthe757

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful. I've done some cloning in the past and it always feels more trouble than it's worth. I prefer to install everything fresh for better performance. Every time you clone all the useless crap tags along, useless or outdated registry entries, old drivers, etc. etc.

Again, my apologies.
Best of luck to you. I hope you find your answers, but I'll not encourage cloning.

jock1092

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
id say if you have to clone it is usually easier to use a drive of the same size or partition the new drive to create a same size destination. its what ive done to avoid problems in the past

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
If you want actual help with the problem, you will need to list:
A. The program you are using to clone.
B. The actual error message you get, not just a paraphrased snippet.
C. The exact steps you are taking, parameters you are using, etc.

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011

A. using Reflect

B. error is broken pipe; the drive is no longer seen in BIOS or anywhere

C. not sure on the steps; I used the default windows 7 settings to format the SSD, 1 partition; I then used reflect to copy both the system reserve part of the original drive and then the main portion.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
a. Okay.
b. that is not the complete error message. please provide the actual error message as it appears on your screen; don't paraphrase it.
c. Right but what parameters are you using? Are you just straight up cloning it with all defaults (unlikely) or are you altering the target partition size? In the properties box, what are you putting?

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
broken pipe is the message. it may have said write failed, broken pipe.

yes, I used all defaults; didn't alter anything; without using the program again, I don't recall any parameters used. I just clicked the default.

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
There is more to the error message than that, it doesn't just say broken pipe. It will say what operation failed along with an error code that indicates what went wrong. They give this information for a reason, not every single error is the same. Unfortunately I can't help you until you provide the actual message you are receiving; with just small part of the error it is a waste of time.