Advice regarding dual monitor setup

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Hey all .. im having a bit of a dilemma,

Im wanting to add a second monitor to my setup, as i often want to stream a computer game stream (starcraft for example) while browsing so dual monitor is going to benefit me a lot here.

My current monitor is an Asus VG278HE 144hz 3D 27" Monitor.
Current GPUs = nVidia GTX780 SLI with ACX Coolers on both

Im wondering, should i get a second of the same monitor, as maybe ... MAYBE ill end up getting a third in the future so i can have a tri-display 3D setup ?

OR .. do i buy a 1440p monitor for higher resolution gaming ?

None of my friends have 1440p displays so ive never been able to see the difference, but i imagine being able to choose if i want to look at a 3D display or a higher resolution display could be quite nice.

Obviously having matching monitors is nice due to same contrast/brightness etc, but only having two doesnt offer me any "difference" as opposed to 1080p + 1440p

what are peoples thoughts? the types of games i play are need for speed / starcraft / things with nice eye candy ..

Thanks all :)

reaperz

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Thanks for your response :)

you raise a very good point regarding the refresh rate, its something i didn't even stop to think about, and research now tells me im unlikely if not impossible to get a 120/144hz native monitor (overclocking your monitor MAY achieve 120hz ..)

its a shame the VG278HE's bezel isnt super thin, i imagine tri-gaming with 3 of them wouldn't be all that amazing due to the bordering.

If i buy one, maybe i should just buy two.. as i already own the nvidia vision 2 3D kit. get some mad 3d surround gaming going on.