Aero will not work until restart/low performance until restart (GTX 770)

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I have recently gotten a gtx 770 and am having an interesting problem.

When I start the computer on from cold Aero does not work and when I run 3dmark it performs horribly, stuttering constantly. However, when I restart the system from shutdown-> restart aero turns on and the system operates perfectly fine.

I went from a 7950, but unistalled completely in safe mode (and then cleaned up with CC cleaner before doing nvidia driver).

I have tried all of the standard aero fixes to no avail. Before the restart fix, the device manager recognizes the GTX 770 card but when I restart the desktop manager service it will turn on aero for a second or so and then back off.

I am out of ideas how to fix this any any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My problem appears to be similar to this one (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-aero-and-mouse-issue/c3357da4-0cdd-4157-894a-e90eded3827a) but my aero works fine when I restart the system.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Do you have the latest Nvidia drivers from the card manufacture's website? In addition make sure you also have your motherboard/chipset drivers upgraded as well.

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I have the newest 334.89 drivers from NVIDIA. I also have the newest chipset driver for my mobo (Asrock 970 DE3 U3S3).

(Assuming the AMD all-in-one driver from http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win764&Model=970DE3/U3S3) is the correct one.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Looks like something may be disabling the Desktop Window Session Manager.
Try this except enable it if it is disabled:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/20637-windows-7-disable-the-desktop-window-manager-session-manager-s

Otherwise I found this registry edit (please, please, follow it to the letter if you choose to try this. If you are not comfortable editing the registry, just skip this step)

Force Enable Aero in Windows 7

1. Click on Start and type regedit at run

2. Now Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

3. In the right details pane, create following Three DWORD (32-bit value) entry

UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.

Blur, and set its value to 0.

Animations, and set its value to 0.

4. Close Regedit

5. Click on Start and type CMD with administrative Priviliges

6. Now type following command

Net Stop uxsms

Net Start uxsms

*Above command will stop and start Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.

7. Now you can turn on Aero by right clicking on desktop-> Personalize -> Select Windows Colors

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
So I did as you put above, and the Desktop Windows Session Manager is set to automatically start.

I did the regedits as well. Then I did a full shutdown on the computer and booted it back up. Like normal aero was broken. So I went ahead and did the stop and start commands, which fixed it, but only until I clicked on anything on my desktop. At that point it went forced back to non-aero even though DMSM was still on.

I still have no idea why a restart from within the system fixes the problem. Super frustrating.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Sorry to hear this, I've looked at a few threads which seem to suggest that Windows does not support Aero themes for that specific graphics card. Personally I can't see any reason why, and so I will do a bit more forum diving for your case. Hopefully we can get some other minds at work here, as the problem is beyond my areas of expertise.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Found this thread, seems close to your issue. Basically it says to do a CLEAN re-install of the latest NVIDIA or card driver, and uncheck 3D Vision and the 3D Vision Control Driver.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/505508/windows-7-aero-not-compatible-with-driver-285-62-/

In addition remove the Air Display Drivers (last post in the link).

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Also, just to make it known for posterity, in addition to aero not working there appears to be significant degradation on the performance of the graphics card during the time as well. I can do some more empirical work to find out exactly what that means if need be.

KingMelkizedek

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I tried the fresh reinstall to no avail as well. Also, I just pulled up info on the mobo purchase and I can RMA if necessary. I am wondering if there could be a problem with the PCIex 2.0 port.