Oculus Rift Will Be Affordable For Nearly Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainaic

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
''He said that the company isn't in a comfortable point where they can just hand out the hardware to developers for free''TRANSLATION''We have some money, but we need more.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Glad to hear that they're still sticking with affordability. More expensive models can come out after the device has reached a wide audience. Now is the time for cultivation.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
''He said that the company isn't in a comfortable point where they can just hand out the hardware to developers for free''TRANSLATION''We have some money, but we need more.
Yeah, I dont understand why companies need money. I mean, the world would be much better off if everything were free. We should sue the earth for not making its resources free to us.

brianorca

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
The reason I wont buy it is not going to be the price but rather that it's too invasive.
I won't buy it because it will probably give me migraines like 3D movies do.
Some of that problem comes from the ghosting from the less than perfect glasses used to view 3D movies, and some from the reduced light level. Occulus is supposed to bypass many of these (and other) issues, so I hope you don't totally dismiss it. But I understand reluctance to try "yet another 3D system" if you've had trouble in the past.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
[Oculus VR may have captured the heart of one of the most legendary game developers of all time: John Carmack, the former engine master behind id Software.]JC may have done something decades ago,but what has he done game-wise since then?

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

I have read that, however, my issue comes from my eyes each getting separate and slightly different information. That's what triggers my migraines, and I don't think they can do anything about that.

Don't get me wrong, if someone I know picks one up I'll try it and see if I can tolerate it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to do so.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I won't buy it for one reason and one alone. I wear glasses and it sucks to wear something over them unless it is specially made.
im pretty sure oculus rift will have adjustable optics so you dont have to wear glasses. or at least its an option. now you have NO reason to not buy one :D

I have read that, however, my issue comes from my eyes each getting separate and slightly different information. That's what triggers my migraines, and I don't think they can do anything about that.Don't get me wrong, if someone I know picks one up I'll try it and see if I can tolerate it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to do so.
You must have major troubles in everyday life then. Since thats generally how humans see.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I have read that, however, my issue comes from my eyes each getting separate and slightly different information. That's what triggers my migraines, and I don't think they can do anything about that.Don't get me wrong, if someone I know picks one up I'll try it and see if I can tolerate it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to do so.
You must have major troubles in everyday life then. Since thats generally how humans see.
Was going to say just that :p

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
I'd love to love Oculus, but as a claustrophobe, covering up my face sounds annoying.
Try it out then. As an owner of the DK1, I can tell you it's similar to wearing swimming goggles, but isn't painful.

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Wow soo many sissies are missing out on great stuff. 3d gives me migraine ..really? I guess you can't go on roller coasters either ? My car driving might not be good for you either. Other than ones with balance system problems or vision impairments, why are soo many complaining that they will puke/fall/headaches after 2 minutes without having even tried the set ?? They are working on synchronism and latency for a reason..WHAT YOU TRIED BEFORE WAS NOT GOOD ..they are making it better so your brain does not explode when you sissies turn your head too fast.I sure hope they do not "cheapen" on the specs too much for affordability. There is a fine line in terms of acceptable minimum perfromance that this device requires to gain popularity. As some said, they have all time to release higher end models once their product hits mainstream and developper's support. So now about that realease date !!

Call me an old cermuggin, but I don't like the way that the general public has absolutely lost their minds with technology. You can go to just about any gathering, and you end up with a bunch of people with their phones pressed against their noses lost in their own little world. I mean, why the hell bother showing up if you are just going to ignore the people around you? And it is not just a teen problem either, adults are just as bad if not worse.

I love the idea of VR, but it is just going to be one more way to ignore people and wrap themselves up in their own false reality. Don't get me wrong, I love games, and movies, and stories, and there is absolutely a time and a place to go get lost in another world... but I think the last 5 years have proved that people are not mature enough to have such immersive technology without abusing it to their own determent. I would much rather see some form of AR take off and bring a revolution of true multiplayer games where people can still have a fun immersive experience, but have to actually interact with each other.

c123456

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Nothing against the developers of the Oculus Rift, but its something I hope never gets its feet off the ground. I'm sure I'm in the minority opinion, but VR games just don't interest me, and at $300+their profit margin, there's no way I'd be interested in trying it. Instead though game developers are going to have to support an entire system here leading to longer development times, larger development expenses, and ultimately higher prices to the consumer.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I don't trust this tech and those people at all.They released it and alot of people that tried it went sick. Then they said "ok, it was a bug, we fixed it". They treat their custmers as a lab rats.As far as the proce goes.

Weren't they talking about how consoles are too weak to use oculus with them? So they don't consider average gamers as their customers, only highend. And all those games old as crap playing oculus is kind of say the same thing. No modern good looking game with Oculus was shown, it seems you need a best of a pc to play with it. So their words about how they want to make it affordable are laughable at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.