Modem Router Recommendations

Alisha Bowers

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
We currently have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580. It was great for a while, now we get drops in the other part of the house... We had a zyxel extender that also worked for a bit but now, it isn't connecting properly or giving a valid IP address.. The surfboard also isn't compatible with multiple open NATs for online gaming, as we have 2 Xbox's online at the same time frequently. I have been having to let the kids tether to my smartphone to play online when I am online (hardwired).

I am leaning toward the Asus RT-AC66U or the RT-N66U but don't know if the AC is worth the extra money. We stream a lot of movies and have a sling adapter on our DVR (which is approximately 50-60 feet from our router's location (2 rooms away). We need something that will handle multiple devices being online and that has an excellent range (1,800 sq ft single story home). Our old modem/router through frontier would reach our back yard... Our surfboard does not.

We have mediacom cable internet if that makes a difference...

Also we will need a new modem as well... Mediacom gave me a list of modems that they support... A lot of them were combo units though.. I am just needing to know if this modem (Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (DPC3008-CC)) is a good one?