Is there a noticeable difference with i5k and i7k?

i5k or i7k?

• i5k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i7k

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

colbycool1

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
I know it may seem like a stupid question but I'm knew to the whole computer building thing since my upstairs computer is completely outdated. Now I am trying to build a family computer, one that centers around storing photos, video and editing, software, gaming, and something to work at home. So is it worth it to get an i7 processor and is there a noticeable difference between the two if I were to overclock the i5k?
Thanks

grapez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
The main difference between a core i5 and a i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading. Hyperthreading adds 4 more "cores" in which data may be processed through.

The i5 does not have that.

To consider between the two, you need to look at your priorities and needs first - the i5 will be perfect solely for gaming, as the i7 will be better for things such as photoshop rendering, video editing, and etc.

Games nowadays do not take advantage of hyperthreading, so the fps difference in games will be minimal between the two chips.

Sp00kie

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
For games, you can go with i5. For servers, video, photoshop, go with i7. The difference is hyper-threading and with the right applications, it makes a big difference.

TRENDING THREADS